Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote: Well, yes the chicken is an animal. We are animals as well......I think they need a category for small animals such as cats/dogs, another category for birds which are chickens/ducks/etc and one for large animals such as sheep/horse etc.....

I would get rid of the roosters, try to appease the complainer by giving them free eggs and maybe near the nest box or area where they make the noise, put some boards or something to tone down the noise.

As for the fertilizer, do it late at night or cover it with a tarp for a few days or cover with dirt.

But some people like to cause drama no matter what and if they are that type, you will lose no matter what you do....

The enforcement officer admitted that they have more complaints as having backyard chickens has become more popular and that the city consulted a lawyer who apparently is the one who suggested they call birds small animals. I will fight it in court if necessary but hopefully the city, with its limited resources, will not want to lose that battle. There is just no way you can call a chicken an animal when it is a bird.

Luckily I live out in the country now but when I had problems with complaints and Enforcement, I took a weekend to go around the neighborhood and find all the infractions I could. Then reported them all. Then went back and checked 2 weeks later. When they weren't addressed but they were still picking on me, I made a HUGE deal about it at their next public meeting. They left me alone after that especially after my lawyer sent them a letter.
wink.png

My SIL lives on 5 acres with neighbors who all have about the same amount of property. A few years ago new neighbors decided to build a house on the property right next door and, in order to get the best view of the mountains, they built as close to the property line as allowed. Soon they started to complain about the noise of the chickens and goat next door. They said "We moved to the country for peace and quiet." Never mind that my SIL lived there first and had chickens long before they built their house. After a year or so the neighbors had used up the generosity of animal control officers (how do you complain about chicken noise in a situation like that?? The officers were totally on my SIL side) so they started to feed the raccoons. Now what was an occasional problem with coons is a "lock them up like Fort Knox" problem. Some people are just miserable neighbors.

Oh, my SIL got turkeys and peafowl...they are thinking about building a pig pen right next to the property line.

DD

My SIL lives on 5 acres with neighbors who all have about the same amount of property. A few years ago new neighbors decided to build a house on the property right next door and, in order to get the best view of the mountains, they built as close to the property line as allowed. Soon they started to complain about the noise of the chickens and goat next door. They said "We moved to the country for peace and quiet." Never mind that my SIL lived there first and had chickens long before they built their house. After a year or so the neighbors had used up the generosity of animal control officers (how do you complain about chicken noise in a situation like that?? The officers were totally on my SIL side) so they started to feed the raccoons. Now what was an occasional problem with coons is a "lock them up like Fort Knox" problem. Some people are just miserable neighbors.

Oh, my SIL got turkeys and peafowl...they are thinking about building a pig pen right next to the property line.

DD

Yah city folks just don't get it when they move into the country. When my friend's parents died his sister decided to move back to the homestead. Her husband constantly complained about the smell and noise from "that side of the farm". Uh they have cattle.
th.gif

DD

I think they need a loud donkey to put on their farm and of course, on that side of the farm.

Back
Top Bottom