Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi All!

I miss this place - one day I will get my act together and start being social again.

I came on here today for help with a chicken question from a friend of mine. She has 2 hens that she raised from chicks that she bought at Monroe feed - she had more, but there were 3 roosters in the bunch that she returned to Monroe a few months ago when they started to crow. Now she just has an EE that gives her a beautifu blue egg every day in the nest box by 11 am - like clockwork. She also has an Australorp that will lay an egg about 5 times per week. 2 of these eggs will look like normal brown eggs. The other 3 will be elongated with bloody whites. She wanted to know what is wrong with the hen. I told her I have a couple of BCM's that will occasionally have a spot of blood in the egg, I just scramble it in and nobody can see it with their breakfast.

She said, oh no; that would never do. The entire white is bloody, se said it looks like an egg yolk in a glass of red wine. I have never seen anything like this, not heard of it, so I asked her to forward me a photo next time it happens.

Any clues?
No roosters and she collects the eggs daily, so it is not developing.

And on a completely different topic.....

I am thoroughly disgusted with myself for the size I have grown to. I'm thinking of doing a liquid diet to lose a lot of pounds fast to get me motivated, and then switching to something more sustainable like Weight Watchers. (I also need to lose weight quickly because I am going to Hawaii in July and I don't want to have to ask for a seatbelt extender). Do any of you have any experience with liquid diets?

I am thoroughly disgusted with myself for the size I have grown to. I'm thinking of doing a liquid diet to lose a lot of pounds fast to get me motivated, and then switching to something more sustainable like Weight Watchers. (I also need to lose weight quickly because I am going to Hawaii in July and I don't want to have to ask for a seatbelt extender). Do any of you have any experience with liquid diets?

IMO, liquid diets only get rid of water weight. Which is weight you quickly put back on as soon as the "diet" ends. Your best bet is to start Weight Watchers ASAP so you can get the benefit of eating healthy & dropping weight the healthy way. The longer you stick with it, the more you'll drop before your trip. It will also give you a realistic look at what to eat and portion sizes so you can continue to eat healthy while on your vacation. Best of luck! Losing weight isn't easy - but it is more than worth the effort! =D

PS: My opinion comes from trying every diet scheme out there and always just yo-yoing. That is until I did Weight Watchers. I dropped 40lbs in about 5 months and I never felt like I was starving or denying myself. I also got to enjoy eating out with friends and sitting down to a healthy meal with my family. Something you don't exactly get to do when your only meals come in a bottle.

Hi All!

I miss this place - one day I will get my act together and start being social again.

I came on here today for help with a chicken question from a friend of mine. She has 2 hens that she raised from chicks that she bought at Monroe feed - she had more, but there were 3 roosters in the bunch that she returned to Monroe a few months ago when they started to crow. Now she just has an EE that gives her a beautifu blue egg every day in the nest box by 11 am - like clockwork. She also has an Australorp that will lay an egg about 5 times per week. 2 of these eggs will look like normal brown eggs. The other 3 will be elongated with bloody whites. She wanted to know what is wrong with the hen. I told her I have a couple of BCM's that will occasionally have a spot of blood in the egg, I just scramble it in and nobody can see it with their breakfast.

She said, oh no; that would never do. The entire white is bloody, se said it looks like an egg yolk in a glass of red wine. I have never seen anything like this, not heard of it, so I asked her to forward me a photo next time it happens.

Any clues?
No roosters and she collects the eggs daily, so it is not developing.
Maybe something here will help Ogress:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/329/factors-affecting-egg-quality

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots

Imp

I would offer my neighbor eggs if she had addressed complaints to me personally but since she filled out a citizen action report instead I am not going to go to great lengths to make her happy. She has actually given me stuff from the garden to feed the chickens and she has always said she enjoys the chickens and ducks so it is odd to me that she would complain. I had already told her I have more birds than I will be keeping since I was raising chicks to sell and I have made two trips to the auction with roosters that did not sell before they started crowing (plus I took four more so I don't have to raise them before taking them to the auction).

I know it is the wet compost that smells so I am working on watering the wet pulp into the soil but I had wanted to keep the shavings on top for mulch. If I can't get the shavings to dry out and not smell with the wet weather, I may have to cover them with dirt and then move the dirt off the top of the shavings when I plant. The poop smell goes away because I water it into the dirt but the wet shavings have a pulp mill smell I don't like either. Once we get some drier weather they will dry out and the smell will be gone.

I will be cutting back on my bird population in the Fall but after feeding birds all Winter I want to be able to get my feed back out in eggs. I have some I am selling now to get down to my best breeding stock but I will not be going down to less than three. Because I already have small animals, technically I have hit my limit but poultry is listed separately in the code, not under small animals (rabbits are not defined as small animals but I could understand calling them animals if they were not listed with poultry). There is a section specifically for poultry and another for pet birds so they can't really be defined as small animals when animals are defined as dogs and cats specifically. I am talking about legal definitions, not scientific classifications here. Obviously my daughter does not count as a small animal in the legal definition of an animal just because humans are animals.

My SIL lives on 5 acres with neighbors who all have about the same amount of property. A few years ago new neighbors decided to build a house on the property right next door and, in order to get the best view of the mountains, they built as close to the property line as allowed. Soon they started to complain about the noise of the chickens and goat next door. They said "We moved to the country for peace and quiet." Never mind that my SIL lived there first and had chickens long before they built their house. After a year or so the neighbors had used up the generosity of animal control officers (how do you complain about chicken noise in a situation like that?? The officers were totally on my SIL side) so they started to feed the raccoons. Now what was an occasional problem with coons is a "lock them up like Fort Knox" problem. Some people are just miserable neighbors.

Oh, my SIL got turkeys and peafowl...they are thinking about building a pig pen right next to the property line.

DD
Well, its not what You say but how You say it, Its not what You do but how You do it…….This could have been a win win situation, Helping each other achieve their goals, finding tolerance and compromise.,,,,Thou i DO understand both sides, i sure wouldn't want to live next to either at this point….

IMO, liquid diets only get rid of water weight. Which is weight you quickly put back on as soon as the "diet" ends. Your best bet is to start Weight Watchers ASAP so you can get the benefit of eating healthy & dropping weight the healthy way. The longer you stick with it, the more you'll drop before your trip. It will also give you a realistic look at what to eat and portion sizes so you can continue to eat healthy while on your vacation. Best of luck! Losing weight isn't easy - but it is more than worth the effort! =D

PS: My opinion comes from trying every diet scheme out there and always just yo-yoing. That is until I did Weight Watchers. I dropped 40lbs in about 5 months and I never felt like I was starving or denying myself. I also got to enjoy eating out with friends and sitting down to a healthy meal with my family. Something you don't exactly get to do when your only meals come in a bottle.
Try writing down what You eat for a week, if there are dessert items, lots of pasta, fat & sugar, cheese, bread & milk products….see what You can use to replace them. Most processed foods….. You need some. Eating food more basically helps….like a protein and a green veg and yam/potato & salad for dinner,,,,You can eat lots and it will digest faster. Eating more breakfast & lunch, then a smaller early dinner with being active after. stretching, dancing/moving to your favorite music, taking the dog for a walk…..when losing weight, find exercises that will help build/tighten the areas You want to change.

Do i eat things i shouldn't YES, but i have had more energy, feel better and have learned thru the process that i have a problem with gluten and milk alergies….

These are just thoughts that have helped me…..Its been hard,,,,I LOVE to eat, and still junk out occasionally…..

Best of Luck, eliz

I know it is the wet compost that smells so I am working on watering the wet pulp into the soil but I had wanted to keep the shavings on top for mulch. If I can't get the shavings to dry out and not smell with the wet weather, I may have to cover them with dirt and then move the dirt off the top of the shavings when I plant. The poop smell goes away because I water it into the dirt but the wet shavings have a pulp mill smell I don't like either. Once we get some drier weather they will dry out and the smell will be gone.
Why not make a proper compost bin? It breaks down faster and will smell a lot less than spreading uncomposted material over a large area. Better for your plants too.

Yeah, liquid diets never worked for me. I finally got an app for my smart phone, and it has helped me lose 22 pounds so far. It keeps me on track pretty well. I know some people swear by the liquid, so if you find one that works, let everyone know! I just get too hungry - I need a lot of preotein, it fills me up and digests more slowly
big_smile.png
(so I don't get hungry again as fast!)

Last edited:
The only way I have effectively lost any quantity of weight without being terribly grumpy is with low carb. Keeping my net carbs below 20g daily helped me drop a little over 20lbs before Christmas... When I promptly gorged myself on cookies and candy and gained it all back. It was a rough holiday.

Back
Top Bottom