Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Does anyone know of a breeder in washington state where I can get dutch bantam hens from???? I've looked everywhere and I can't find any D:

Final count on my very first hatch:
27 eggs made it to lockdown- 21 hatched

8 BBS JG ( 9 hatched but we lost one to an unhealed naval)
6 Salmon Favs
4 Ameraucanas
2 Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks
Congrats on the babies! Are the JG a lot bigger than the others... Is that why they are seperated?

My chicks are getting big. The White Leghorn chick has already learned to climb on top of water and jump out. Tomorrow we'll be getting a larger "brooder". They've been going outside, weather permitting, to soak in some rays and dig in the lawn (under supervision).

White Leghorn, mystery Wyandotte??, barred rock that is finally growing some feathers, two Ameraucans in the back (they are shy despite how much we handle them), mystery chick, RIR, Welsummer on the right.

Final count on my very first hatch:
27 eggs made it to lockdown- 21 hatched

8 BBS JG ( 9 hatched but we lost one to an unhealed naval)
6 Salmon Favs
4 Ameraucanas
2 Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks

Jersey Giants:

Everyone else:

Whew - I think I may be more exhausted then the chicks
tongue.png
Depending on how big the hole in the navel is, we have twice used super glue to seal the opening from germs. Both the chicks survived and and thrived. :)
Just be careful not to glue the vent shut like I did the first time! LOL (Finger nail polish remover saved the day!)
Cute little fuzzes, by the way!

Last edited:
I could probably ask this somewhere else, but figured there was enough wisdom on this thread to give me an answer. =D

The last couple of days I have found a loose feather in my brooder. I have 14 chicks, 3-5 weeks in age and brooder is about 24 sq. ft. I also use red lights for their heat source. So it seems like environment-wise all should be good so that they aren't getting cranky and pecking at each other. Is this normal for them to lose a feather or two? Could this be a sign that something is wrong? Is there other things I should look out for?

Also, can anyone say if this amount of space is OK for them till they move outside? Speaking of moving outside, when do you usually move your girls out? I've heard of some moving them at 5 weeks, but my 5 weekers just seem too small still. I was kind of thinking I'd move them mid to late May. Does that seem about right?

I could probably ask this somewhere else, but figured there was enough wisdom on this thread to give me an answer. =D

The last couple of days I have found a loose feather in my brooder. I have 14 chicks, 3-5 weeks in age and brooder is about 24 sq. ft. I also use red lights for their heat source. So it seems like environment-wise all should be good so that they aren't getting cranky and pecking at each other. Is this normal for them to lose a feather or two? Could this be a sign that something is wrong? Is there other things I should look out for?

Also, can anyone say if this amount of space is OK for them till they move outside? Speaking of moving outside, when do you usually move your girls out? I've heard of some moving them at 5 weeks, but my 5 weekers just seem too small still. I was kind of thinking I'd move them mid to late May. Does that seem about right?

I removed the heat at 3 weeks, moved them from the kitchen to attached but unheated garage at 4 weeks and outside at 5. Here they are at 6 weeks outside their grow out pen. As you can see it's just a roof and a little windbreak and they are fine. I wouldn't go straight from an indoor brooder with heat to outside with near freezing temps at night though. Give them a chance to adapt.

I removed the heat at 3 weeks, moved them from the kitchen to attached but unheated garage at 4 weeks and outside at 5. Here they are at 6 weeks outside their grow out pen. As you can see it's just a roof and a little windbreak and they are fine. I wouldn't go straight from an indoor brooder with heat to outside with near freezing temps at night though. Give them a chance to adapt.

My chicks are basically in 3 groups age-wise. Should I start to move each group as they hit 5-6 weeks or wait till the youngest is that age? I can separate their brooder into three different pens and remove the heat lamp from one or just leave it as one big group and remove the heat lamps when youngest get old enough. What do you think?

Went and got 3 chicks at dels yesterday. :) They are pullets is all i know cause they were like what breeds do you want and i said "pullet" they gave me a weird look until I explained that they never turn out to be what they claim anyway so i just want females.
My hen is happy as can be her golfball hatched LOL it's triplets. :D

My chicks are basically in 3 groups age-wise. Should I start to move each group as they hit 5-6 weeks or wait till the youngest is that age? I can separate their brooder into three different pens and remove the heat lamp from one or just leave it as one big group and remove the heat lamps when youngest get old enough. What do you think?

I start putting my chicks out on nice days once they have wing feathers. Not fully feathered just wings and bring them in around 4 pm. Then as they get more feathered i leave them out longer. Mine are all outside by 5 weeks age usually unless I have one I bonded to way to much. Rue my rooster i'm building a $100 um *cough cough* planter ;) to live in (sound proof) he hangs out some days on the dog bed, chasing the dogs around. he's 10 weeks old now i believe. and he's a spoiled.

Have to share this:

I've had to slam my breaks for a number of animals running out into the street. Deer, rabbits, raccoons, frogs, birds, cats, dogs, people, horses, even a pig once. But today it was for a Chicken! It was on my way from picking my 9yr old from school. He couldn't stop laughing or making up "why did the chicken try to cross the road" jokes.

Back
Top Bottom