Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

The feed stores here offer Aracaunas....LOL......$3.99 each, a full dollar more than the RIR or Barred rocks.
Imagine that !

They do that here too, drives me nuts. But then again the hatcheries do that to, so they are just passing on the mistake, the lackey at the feed store doesn't know any better. Even better is when the sell them as "Aracauna/Easter Egger/Americana/Ameraucana" (yes I have seen all four names on the same bin)

They are 2 years old and 3(in July) years old. That's why I don't get it. I have checked them for mites there are not any.
Just watch them.
Best thing anyone can ever do, is watch their poultry.
See what they are doing...are they figgety ?
Digging in their feathers ?
Are they sitting OK with no figgeting ?
Have you flipped them over & dug into their feathers & searched for bugs ?
If you've done it all...then just don't worry, just watch.
Watch their behaviour.
Keep watching...if everything is OK, they'll be fine.

They do that here too, drives me nuts. But then again the hatcheries do that to, so they are just passing on the mistake, the lackey at the feed store doesn't know any better. Even better is when the sell them as "Aracauna/Easter Egger/Americana/Ameraucana" (yes I have seen all four names on the same bin)
Drives me nuts too.
Even when the feed store cowgirls KNOW BETTER but say OH WELL.
The worst part is when they ask $2-$3 more for an "Aracaunas" or "Amerauacan" or"Americana" either or...as if it is some rare exotic breed when in fact it is just a mutt cross breed no can determine.

Maybe...just have to stick them under her & see.
Be prepared to have to brood them yourself though should she turn on them.
I've seen hens kill babies they knew were not their own.
HOUSE is about done !

Hey CL is the house done yet????? Question for ya. My Mottled Java went broody yesterday. is 9 days too early to put chicks under her. she was broody in July 2012 and again last Sept. I put chicks under her after 20 days last time. One of the feeds store has the 3 breeds I want on the 25th of this month
LOL its been along time since I tried to double post. Not sure what happened
barnie.gif
CL so are you living in the house now? I put chicks under this same hen last Sept. after 20 days of sitting on wood eggs and she took right to them. was just wondering if 9 days are too early ??? if she can count I might be in trouble
hu.gif
I tried to break her three times but no luck. I put her in a separate coop and when I would let her out she would just run around the barn and into the nest boxes again.

on the other hand, those "Americanas" that I got from Del's, hatched by the Privett hatchery, have been great hens (beautiful but not so great rooster) -- since what we wanted was sturdy birds who lay pretty eggs ... good fertility too since half the Washingtonians seem to have hatched chicks from my eggs ...

mutts they may be, but it appears that Privett selects for health, fertility, and egg laying consistency, all of which are just what I wanted

darn this rain, it's putting a bit of a crimp into my building my quarantine coop and run; I just get everything nicely sanitized with bleach and vinegar, and it's ALMOST dry, when the heavens start leaking again ...

fitting these underneath a deck that sits 4 feet off the ground, is a bit of a design challenge, especially since I'm making it all up from materials laying around the place, and from the pieces of pallet discarded at J&I and Del's, that I can fit in my compact car

does not help that both hubby and I have come down with some sort of a respiratory bug; he's coughing and wheezing like a cross between a donkey and Darth Vader .. I'm feeling like I've got the mumps and arthritis at the same time ...

even Deirdre-hen has the runs ... or did this morning, but that seems to have cleared up now

Krispy-cat is applying feline purr therapy

Our "Ameraucanas" came from the feed store but are actually Easter Eggers. They all look completely different now that they are feathered out. We've had them for 3 1/2 weeks and they are finally starting to calm down a bit and aren't so freaked out by people. We've spent a lot of time working with them to encourage them to be friendly. I'm hoping they mellow out as they mature. Of all the chicks we got the EEs are my least favorite at the moment. I'm really loving the Red Star though, and the RIR, and the mystery white chicks...

She was a stray, had been. Living under moms porch and around her coop for a couple weeks. The neighbor lady said she was new as well. :) . Gotta get her fixed soon, she's acting like she's in heat and more kitties is the last thing we want!

Oooooooooo ! If you DO get kitties, PM ME I'll take at least 2 !!!    :ya

Lol, I will try to remember but in case I don't I will probably post here to find homes anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom