Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

We have filter media, and barrels left over from when we had our koi farm, and the nitrifying bacteria that inhabit these filters (called 'trickle' or 'wet/dry' in the fish industry) would be perfect for eliminating the ammonia/nitrites and returning the water to the pond, and ever filtering, day & night by way of a pond pump with pre-filter to catch the solids, even micro solids.
But, these filters could never deal with the gallons of MUD the ducks burp into the water.
Poop & Urates are one thing, mud is another, and they do enough mud to clog the filter media and smother the (aerobic) nitrifying bacteria.

LOL- I didn't even think of running the water back into the pond! Sigh, not thinking far enough ahead. I was thinking of pumping it out to the garden instead of carrying the water in buckets. It's too bad though, what a great thing that would be to be able to filter a duck pond.

LOL- I didn't even think of running the water back into the pond! Sigh, not thinking far enough ahead. I was thinking of pumping it out to the garden instead of carrying the water in buckets. It's too bad though, what a great thing that would be to be able to filter a duck pond.
Creating a nitrifying wet/dry trickle filter is th way to go with pond fish, even a 2000 g pond with many koi up tp 1-2 feet in length........................BUTT
Ducks make MUD and mud smothers the nitrifying bacteria which is housed in different media, we love lava rock the best.
Smothers....mud covers everything in a short amount of time.

Sweet lil'chippy has woke up & attacked the almond milk in the eye dropper like a man lost in the desert !

He/she had both hands on the eye dropper eating as fast as he/she could, then, went back to sleep in the rag bed I made....clean rags of cotton flannel sheets.
The lil'critter has made a hole in the flannel...and a burrow beneath.
HA !

He/she just might live !!!!!!!!!!!
Tomorrow, photos !

Not sure if this is the place but I'm in search of some speckled sussex and I live just north of longview. Can anyone help me out

Since we raised the chicks in the house with the cats, the cats think of them as part of the family. I swear when the pullets go out to forage the cats watch for predators. Two of them are on top of the arena fence, one on the wood pile, and a fourth cat is in front of the truck. The only time we lost a bird was when all the cats were sleeping in the house and a predator got in the yard. I know they cats aren't going to fight off a coyote, but at least they can warn the chickens to run for cover.

Sweet lil'chippy has woke up & attacked the almond milk in the eye dropper like a man lost in the desert !

He/she had both hands on the eye dropper eating as fast as he/she could, then, went back to sleep in the rag bed I made....clean rags of cotton flannel sheets.
The lil'critter has made a hole in the flannel...and a burrow beneath.
HA !

He/she just might live !!!!!!!!!!!
Tomorrow, photos !

That's awesome that you're taking care of the poor baby.

Don't forget pictures!

OK here is the best pictures I can get.
Sweet Chippy, who Einstein is nameing Hoover (cuz he sucks up the milk like a vacuum !) is a typical baby.

Hoover eats & sleeps.
Hoover drinks out of a Sobe cap, and has treats to eat also bu mostly drinks & sleeps.
he is snuggling down under his white flannel which is on top of a green towel.
Here is a few shots, and remember Hoover is in a Home Depot bucket & very snuggly warm !

Even when I pulled his blanket aside to take his pic, he woke, and went right back to sleep.
And no more fleas !!!!

YIPPEEE!!!
wee.gif

No flash shots:

To the left is a wedge of cucumber..to the right is his Sobe lid full of almond milk, which he drains 8-10X in 24 hrs !

Hoover is asleep in the foreground....

I am being stealthy & trying not to wake him....

I pulled his blankey aside & petted his head, he looks around, & goes right back to sleep.
So I covered him up.

Curls up like a kitty...and back to sleep.
Just like a human baby.
But this one has been on the verge of starvation, bones protuding, and so victimized by parasites.

Sleep little one.................
love.gif

Not sure if this is the place but I'm in search of some speckled sussex and I live just north of longview. Can anyone help me out
There is someone in Sumner that has some Sussex hens for sale. If it isn't too far for you to go, let me know and I can put you in touch with her. You can PM me your e-mail address if you're interested. :)

Back
Top Bottom