Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have not tried hatching shipped eggs since I have read that there are alot of problems with shipping eggs. I figured we could pick up spring chicks at the feed store cheap or I could run an Ameracauna rooster with my hens in a tractor coop to have my own fertile eggs to hatch. I have a pair of Cochins in there now since I want to hatch some more frizzled pullets for my Sizzle project.

I have some frizzled hens with Silkie roosters to make Sizzles and I have some frizzled chicks I am raising from a frizzled hen under a smooth rooster so now I am using a smooth hen under a frizzled rooster to make more frizzled Cochins. I sold my Sizzle pullet because she had a straight comb but I am raising some of her chicks.

Last edited:
M
I have not tried hatching shipped eggs since I have read that there are alot of problems with shipping eggs. I figured we could pick up spring chicks at the feed store cheap or I could run an Ameracauna rooster with my hens in a tractor coop to have my own fertile eggs to hatch. I have a pair of Cochins in there now since I want to hatch some more frizzled pullets for my Sizzle project.

I have some frizzled hens with Silkie roosters to make Sizzles and I have some frizzled chicks I am raising from a frizzled hen under a smooth rooster so now I am using a smooth hen under a frizzled rooster to make more frizzled Cochins. I sold my Sizzle pullet because she had a straight comb but I am raising some of her chicks.

Mkay my offer still stands if you want some. I haven't done shipped eggs but will be doing some in the near future.

I had some Easter Eggers that were laying beige eggs so I hatched some by mistake thinking they were Orpington eggs. They were fertilized by my Orpington rooster so they are Orpington crosses, which I did not want because I am hatching Orpingtons. I was able to get rid of some of the crosses but I am afraid I may have more so I have to raise the entire batch to weed them out. The reason I started my own flock was to make sure I know what I am hatching after buying hatching eggs that were crossbreeds or the result of inbreeding and then I ended up with mistakes because the guaranteed blue and green egg layers I bought as chicks were laying beige eggs. I will be getting all my Easter Eggers from hatchery stock as a result so I can easily tell which eggs are for eating and which eggs are for hatching.
I totally feel your frustration! I hatched out some Easter Eggers from green and blue eggs last month. Only one of them has a pea comb, so i'm assuming the rest will lay brown eggs. It is possible they carry a blue egg gene, but not likely. The chick with the pea comb is a cockerel, so I'm out of luck getting an EE hen out of this batch. I did buy a rooster that will produce pure blue and green egg laying babies, so I guess I'll have to make my own.

I actually sold some of my colored egg layers in order to sell my beige egg layers with them and now I wish I had kept them. My favorite hen layed jumbo blue eggs and I accidently killed her by trying out a new nest box without attaching it to the wall of the coop. The nest box tipped over with her in it and she managed to suffocate to death before I found her trapped inside. It made me so sad that I nearly decided that I don't need any colored egg layers but I love my blue and green eggs.

I have actually been reducing my flock (not counting all the chicks I am raising) so I can keep just my best hens for hatching eggs. I have an Orpington hen with a pendulous crop that I may need to sell since her large crop could be genetic but I don't like to sell single birds because it is too stressful for them to join a new flock without a companion. I considered selling an Easter Egger with her since I am down to my best Orpington hens but I only have two left and that would leave me with just one. Fortunately my favorite colored Easter Egger lays a pretty blue-green egg so she would be the one to keep but I would like more colored eggs so I need to raise some more Easter Eggers or Ameracaunas, preferably from blue hatching eggs. It would be nice to hatch the chicks before I have to decide if I am going to sell a hen.

I have been meaning to ask if there is anyone who makes the bags from feed sacks. I go through so much Flock Raiser that I started keeping the bags with the hopes of turning them into tote bags but I am not very talented when it comes to sewing. I thought I might be able to work out a barter to have someone sew them for me or else I may just give them away to someone who can use them. It seems a waste to recycle them every week. I also have chick starter bags and rabbit feed bags but I go through 50 pounds of Flock Raiser pretty quick (I have gravity feeders that I keep full at all times) so I have a growing stack of them. I am not sure if there is much of a market for the bags so I would not want to invest any money but I do have things to trade.

I have been meaning to ask if there is anyone who makes the bags from feed sacks. I go through so much Flock Raiser that I started keeping the bags with the hopes of turning them into tote bags but I am not very talented when it comes to sewing. I thought I might be able to work out a barter to have someone sew them for me or else I may just give them away to someone who can use them. It seems a waste to recycle them every week. I also have chick starter bags and rabbit feed bags but I go through 50 pounds of Flock Raiser pretty quick (I have gravity feeders that I keep full at all times) so I have a growing stack of them. I am not sure if there is much of a market for the bags so I would not want to invest any money but I do have things to trade.

You can use them to grow potatoes, too.

I wonder if they could work for earth bag construction ... because they might. And in that case I'll take all I can get. :)

I'm aware it's not a recognized breed - it's a "project" breed they are selling and trying to get others to do - that they call Favacauna based on the crossing- apparently a lot of people like the cross- me personally I don't care for him - we didn't buy him he was a freebie bird for our order which we weren't supposed to even get that bird as it was not a breed we ordered- so someone is really trying to push it out there- they still lay the green eggs by what I understand and heartier in winter, personality is stronger than the Favorelle - someone who don't mind a cross and just needs a roo may be ok with him
Hi, i think i would agree with the personality trait potential having both Amer. & Faverolles….They should also have 5 toes and like mentioned blue to green eggs, possibly larger and a bit more……Think EE have a better laying history than True Amer. so would depend on its parents.. Have seen a few from eggs that i received from a friend….She also had Marans in the mix which really made a few pretty birds…..I just raise normals.

Back
Top Bottom