Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi y'all!
New to this thread! Just moved here in March! Coming from Oregon!
1f423.png
1f424.png

Welcome!

I'm from the Hermiston area originally and moved up here in 2008. Much better weather here.

So, after to many conversations and trying different things to keep our girls in the pen when we want them to stay in the pen, my wife and I made the decision to clip our girls wings. The best sources of information I found on the topic, are these two links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfYcR8N8eAs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wing…

It has been by far the easiest thing we have done for our chickens. A pair of scissors, and some TLC.
Any of you guys clip wings as well?

We had one girl that liked to fly a bit too high when she was a pullet. We ended up clipping one wing on two or three birds primarily so they would never really figure out they were able to fly out. It seemed to work fine because after they molted and grew those feather back in all was well.

Yes predators can get in, but that's the risk we take when they go into the "back 40". I do all kinds of crazy things like that! I drive in cars, ride in planes, and ride a bike without a helmet. Life is filled with risk every day for all of us.

(Tongue-in-cheek. Not trying to be nasty, just feeling a little fiesty this morning @ochochicas )

Hello, new to this thread. Haven't had time to look through the many many pages here.

I'm in a dilemma. We need to let a chick go to a good home.
We have given her electrolytes during her first couple days here because they got chilled and it was a long drive home, saline rinses on her eye because of crusty eye lids, VetRx treatments, and tetracycline for antibiotics. Raw Apple Cider Vinager in her water when she wasn't on antibiotics. She's been on antibiotics for almost a week again because of the same weepy eye. This is her second round of antibiotics. She has had issues with this eye since the morning after we got her. She seems to be a little better and I will keep her on antibiotics till the end of the day Friday. She has no other symptoms at all. She is 4.5 weeks old. None of my other chicks are sick or show any signs of illness. It may just be a tear duct issue. Ive talked with the local feed store professional snd there really isn't anything else to do for her and stated she may just have duct issues that might resolve in tine.
She may very well go on to live a normal chicken life. But we can no longer invest more time and money into 1 chick. We had purchased 6 chicks knowing about mortality rates and the possibility of a roo. PLEASE let me know if you know anyone willing to take her in. We live not far from Vancouver , WA.

Sorry to hear about your chick, you've tried a lot. Tough decision. Best of luck.

Ok I have a interesting one in my book anyway- 2 of my misfit girls sisters the "twins" as I call them Marylene and Rosylene both are Broody, but not broody- they are going through the motions: clucking, puffing, "don't touch me" mood but don't brood in their box- they still come out and do their thing like usual- anyone ever have birds that do this- for us it's defiantly a first with our hens- they are cross between a Polish and Cochin if that would affect the behavior

Sounds like Fun!

Hi y'all!
New to this thread! Just moved here in March! Coming from Oregon!
1f423.png
1f424.png

frow.gif
Welcome to the state and the group. Jump right in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

@Hinotori Sounds like the AMs are doing really well. I hope the chicks turn out as friendly as that momma. Mine is nice but not that nice. Janelle is hoping for some like that, she got eggs from Lyn and 3 just hatched. They're sure easy to spot with all those dark brown barnie babies.
love.gif
Sure wish I'd been able to give my chicks to a momma, they've been such a royal pain this year. One of the 2 HRIRs can barely jump up onto an 18" perch. She is SO uncoordinated. Last night I was watching the "coop in" process in the evening and got to wondering if maybe her hearing or ears are a bit off. She was having trouble figuring out how to join the other two that were "upstairs" in the coop ahead of her. She obviously could hear them but just couldn't figure out to go UPstairs. Weird. But then she surprises me with some other feat of flying and I have to say "what the heck". Oh well, it's entertaining, sort of.
barnie.gif

Welcome!

I'm from the Hermiston area originally and moved up here in 2008. Much better weather here.
Thank you! Moved from Medford area. Haven't been to Hermiston before.
Currently in Oak Harbor loving it tons!

Sorry to hear about your chick, you've tried a lot. Tough decision. Best of luck.

Sounds like Fun!

frow.gif
Welcome to the state and the group. Jump right in.

@Hinotori Sounds like the AMs are doing really well. I hope the chicks turn out as friendly as that momma. Mine is nice but not that nice. Janelle is hoping for some like that, she got eggs from Lyn and 3 just hatched. They're sure easy to spot with all those dark brown barnie babies.
love.gif
Sure wish I'd been able to give my chicks to a momma, they've been such a royal pain this year. One of the 2 HRIRs can barely jump up onto an 18" perch. She is SO uncoordinated. Last night I was watching the "coop in" process in the evening and got to wondering if maybe her hearing or ears are a bit off. She was having trouble figuring out how to join the other two that were "upstairs" in the coop ahead of her. She obviously could hear them but just couldn't figure out to go UPstairs. Weird. But then she surprises me with some other feat of flying and I have to say "what the heck". Oh well, it's entertaining, sort of.
barnie.gif
Thankkk you!! :)

You need to show Chicken Rustler your weathervane.
I told him about it, but he has not seen it.
If you get on the WABYC(secret) FB thread, post a picture, it is so beautiful !

I thought I posted a picture ther of it, must not have : / I am more active on the FB page then here. Its easier : P

Thank you for the compiment too : )

Covering our pen is not an option, due to its location next to our garage. It would look horrible if we covered it. If airborn redators come, we will deal with that when it happens.

We had one girl that liked to fly a bit too high when she was a pullet.  We ended up clipping one wing on two or three birds primarily so they would never really figure out they were able to fly out.  It seemed to work fine because after they molted and grew those feather back in all was well. 

Yes predators can get in, but that's the risk we take when they go into the "back 40".   I do all kinds of crazy things like that!  I drive in cars, ride in planes, and ride a bike without a helmet.  Life is filled with risk every day for all of us. 

(Tongue-in-cheek.  Not trying to be nasty, just feeling a little fiesty this morning @ochochicas

Hehe Carolyn ; P

Worst predator we have seen was a bald eagle in our pine trees in the backyard. That was three years ago, and before we limbed them 25' up. And the racoons got sick of being shot at by a pellet rifle 2 years ago. Havnt seen any predators since. Our cat is very territorial.

You seen any big predators in the past few years?

love.gif
barnie.gif

I need to get a hold of Lyn and see about getting some eggs from her as well. I need more genetic diversity for later generations. Lyn has very nice egg color on her girls as well. I've got a couple that lay lighter shades of blue, but I like the darker that the others lay.

I had to kick the EE and her little 8 week old hatchery pullets out of the pen before I moved the ameraucana into there. Angel is probably the only hen I could get away with moving and giving chicks to in the same night. She's just so trusting and laid back. The EE and her brood went into the layer pen. After a bit of confusion on the chicks part of where to go to bed, it was all fine. The mother acted like she'd never left the pen. Second night in there and the chicks put themselves up on the roost with her. I love my flock. No bullying of the chicks at all. Worst thing was the younger rooster constantly wing dancing around the mama until I went and grabbed the older rooster and put him where he could see what was going on. He took care of that issue since he's such a good boy. He'll die from old age. I couldn't ask for a nicer boy, but he's Angel's brother and has the same sweet temperament.

Quote:
Nice dark net doesn't look to bad. Black doesn't stand out. I use thick aviary netting. I've had hens land on it and walk across. I have to have my pens covered though. The hens will get out if I don't. I have several EEs that can fly right over the 6ft fence without any issues.

And the 50 Bar-be-que special will be here in a week & half !!!

wee.gif
I canceled it...Einstein reminded me that I still have more surgeries....so I canceled.
It upsets me as I really worry that we are going to have a shortage in poultry due to the AI infection, devastating HUGE, massive flocks of our food birds.
sad.png

Last edited:
6 out of 8 ameraucana chicks hatched today. I just took them out to the ameraucana hen who will be raising them. Made her very happy. She's such a sweetheart anyway. No growls when I'd take any extra eggs laid by her, just her little sweet talking. The chicks should be pretty friendly since she actively seeks me out for attention. She's always liked being held.
wee.gif
yippee !

Back
Top Bottom