Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hatching Update: I have conducted the mid candling on the eggs and everyone looks good
smile.png
only lost 1 egg for each set. Crossing fingers they all come out chirping come hatch day
smile.png
I'll check them 1 last time when I put them on lock down this weekend
wee.gif

I have a meet up with Lyn @17th~ in Tacoma, exchanging Biel & Am babies................then from there I go to Monroe (same day) and then come back to Raymond...anyone need anything pick up/drop off........let me/us know !
[/quote

I'm new to this and just starting to learn who everyone is, but still have no clue what everyone has.

I'm in Monroe, and am looking for lav and black and Wheaton Ameraucanas. Are those something you or Lyn has?

Welcome and sorry for your little chick. I personally probably would cull the chick if nothing seems to be working but that's my opinion esp if the chick has to keep being on antibiotics which doesn't allow the chick to build up its own antibodies to things - there wouldn't be a normal life for it.

Thank you. I think so too.

Once we had a chick with a weepy eye.  When he hatched he scratched his cornea.  If left untreated it can develop into a corneal ulcer.  In my experience it is best to treat with a lubricant.  We put neosporin opthalmic in his eye and he was better in a week.  I hope you can find your chick a home.  I'm too far away to consider taking her.  Can you post a picture to help get people interested in her?  

I looked really close at it to make sure and the cornea was in tact. It keeps draining from around her tear duct area.

I would cull the chick as well.

Thank you all. I am so appreciative of this site and everyone on it! Don't know what I would do with out it.
I think I will be culling her today. She was doing better. Back to a little weepy and crusty this morning.

Thank you. I think so too.
I looked really close at it to make sure and the cornea was in tact. It keeps draining from around her tear duct area.
Thank you all. I am so appreciative of this site and everyone on it! Don't know what I would do with out it.
I think I will be culling her today. She was doing better. Back to a little weepy and crusty this morning.

Awe- I sorry it's a hard decision for sure, I've had to go there too- I have to look at it as what's in the best interest for the bird. I have a really hard time having to put them down no matter the case- as I have to explain to my fiancée how will their life be in the current state will they suffer and die anyway, will they be able to act like a normal chicken etc. we just recently had to put down a "pet" hen due to severe prolapse and I felt she already suffered enough and her health was dropping - I'd rather her not of died slowly

My problem is no matter what I feel bad for any creature suffering except rats lol - I always get mooshy and yet I do the farm thing where those choices have to made from time to time - least someone could never accuse me of doing it just to do it- I always think of the pros and cons of a choice and shed a tear for them if it's the one that needs to be done

My friend Kim tells a story of a Great Horned Owl she met up close & personal one dark morning.
About 5 AM she sent the daughter (about 13 yo) out to gather eggs for breakfast...and the daughter comes running back in the house scared of "some giant bird" and so out runs Kim with her spatula in her hand, and there, walking toward the coop door, was a Great Horned Owl.

He had a chicken grabbed in 1 foot, and walked with the chicken on the foot, clump! Step! Clump! Step! Since this Owl was so huge, she said about chest level on her...she decided to back away very slowly & let the Owl go...

The Owl continued walk-clumping until he was out in the open, and then spread his huge wings, and took off straight up over the pen 6' fence.
She said it was a profound meeting, and she'll never forget his huge windspread !
And the hen was screaming the whole time, and continued to scream until to far away to hear.
She covered her pen after that.
There is a predator list somewhere here, and what it said about owls is that they can fly through a space foot square…..so just cross crossing the top of some runs would not work to keep them out….and Yes the eagles much prefer to dine where they grab…..ugh

Just hatched put my first set in an incubator and only got 3 out of ten. only one of the 6 eggs I bought fully developed. 3 didnt even start! One of my three silkie died in the Shell without externally pipping, I heard it talking last night when I went to bed and expected a chick in the am. Unfortunately I woke up to silence and havnt heard a peep today. :(
The three I have are adorable though, and husband asked that I try again. I think he caught the disease but doesn't like my naked neck rooster, lol. Does anyone have hatching eggs on the long beach peninsula? Large, mellow breeds preferred, but checking out options before I run around the corner and scare the neighbor by telling her I can hear her rooster and need eggs!

Just hatched put my first set in an incubator and only got 3 out of ten. only one of the 6 eggs I bought fully developed. 3 didnt even start! One of my three silkie died in the Shell without externally pipping, I heard it talking last night when I went to bed and expected a chick in the am. Unfortunately I woke up to silence and havnt heard a peep today.
sad.png

The three I have are adorable though, and husband asked that I try again. I think he caught the disease but doesn't like my naked neck rooster, lol. Does anyone have hatching eggs on the long beach peninsula? Large, mellow breeds preferred, but checking out options before I run around the corner and scare the neighbor by telling her I can hear her rooster and need eggs!
That happens to everyone. I hatched some silkie eggs and only got 70% to hatch. One pipped internally but never hatched. I could see the egg wiggling, but the next day it had died. Always sad to lose them, but with the rate chickens reproduce they aren't all going to hatch.

I have fertile eggs but I'm too far from you. Best of luck with your search. I love my turkens by the way!

Thanks for the kind words. It's a bummer knowing that I may have made a difference if I stepped in when I wanted to last night, but maybe it wasnt meant to be. I'll try again, and hope to have better luck!

Just wondering if You took the chicks out as they hatched or left them in for awhile…There are may reasons why chicks almost hatch…i try to leave chicks for a day or so depending which incubator i use….they have the resources to be fine for 2-3 days, the peeping encourages others as they tire and every time the incubator is opened the environment changes, moisture is lost often making it hard for the chick to pip,….This being said, sometimes chicks aren't developed for some reason to survive and passing on is the kindest…...

Back
Top Bottom