Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Funnier than that...while MrPossum was here, I gave him table scraps, a hunk of cheddar cheese, a big wad of scrambled egg, and 2 pieces of whole wheat bred...MrPossum was in HEAVEN and more than likely is already back here waiting for us to trap him again !
droolin.gif

goodpost.gif

For those interested in raising poultry as a small business or as part of the sustainable local food movement, there is a one-day seminar in June that may be worth checking out. It will be held at a small farm near Port Ludlow that raises Heritage Australorps certified through the Sustainable Poultry Network. The farm owner is a friend, and I will be helping her the day of the event. The folks putting on the workshop will be coming in from the Sustainable Poultry Network out of North Carolina.

slowpoultrysem_icon.png

Here is a brief description of the event (you can read a more detailed description on the registration page here)
This eight hour seminar provides an overview and strategy for developing sustainable poultry production. Learn how to start effectively breeding, growing and marketing poultry products that are both sustainable and profitable. We will carefully look at these four areas:

PURPOSE – Explaining sustainable poultry production models
PRODUCT – Defining the true historical meaning of standard-bred poultry
PROCESS – Understanding the foundational pillars of sustainable poultry production
PROGRAMS – Developing a strategy and plan for success

If you are not familiar with SPN, check out their website.
Their aim is to help folks breed, grow and market sustainable flocks of standard-bred poultry. I love the look and production of their heritage Australorp line, which all trace from the Forest Farm in North Carolina. They are also establishing lines of Welsummers, which are my breed of choice. Maybe I will see some of you there in June!

Can anyone tell me how accurate Cory out at Baxter Barn typically is with sexing chicks? I'd really like to buy a pair of Egyptian Fayoumis pullets from him. According to his Facebook page, he's hatching some on 4/8. I have bought a batch of 7 pullets from him in the past with no problems, but I'm just curious what others' experience may be. I'd hate to have one or both of my birds turn out to be cockerels! I know he does not have the most congenial personality, but that doesn't bother me. Who would expect someone who runs a business like his NOT to be a little eccentric? LOL!

Last edited:
I'm not promoting ebay or anything - just thought some people maybe interested in this deal - Ebay promotion code C15SPRING is $15 off of $75 purchase.

I have been keeping an eye for an incubator and applied that coupon for a 48 eggs incubator/fan/auto turner/candle light kit. Saving our quail eggs :) -

Anyone in Battle Ground area would like some baby quail chicks? (Texas A&M and Japanese Coturnix)

Last edited:
Hello fellow Washingtonians.
1f609.png

Thought I would drop by here to see if anyone could answer my call for help. I'm in central Washington area and recently had an 'incedent' with my lovely neighbors and our chickens. Let us say... We've 2 remaining girls. My BR and a GLW.

I am trying to look to the positive. Now, I need to start my layers group over and am considering adding a few Duck! I've researched and gotten my heart set on Welsh Harlequin breed, but can't find any locally!

So if anyone out there knows of some Welsh Harlequin for sale near the area, I am extremely interested.
Thanks in advance!!
I'm sorry to hear about your incident with your neighbor! It sounds awful.

Good luck with your quest.

I'm sorry to hear about your incident with your neighbor! It sounds awful.

Good luck with your quest.

Thank you!!
1f600.png
I may or may not be headed to a local store tomorrow when their hatchery shipment gets in... Rumored that ducks will be arriving.
1f609.png
My boss gave me the afternoon off in case I happen to find some cute little quackers I just can't resist taking home!!

Thank you!!
1f600.png
I may or may not be headed to a local store tomorrow when their hatchery shipment gets in... Rumored that ducks will be arriving.
1f609.png
My boss gave me the afternoon off in case I happen to find some cute little quackers I just can't resist taking home!!

Have you worked things out with your neighbors to make sure your flock will be safe now?
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom