Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

No more free ranging for our girls! I've been letting them out daily while we're at work and it's been all good. But this morning, we witnessed (and intervened in) a really close call with a bald eagle!!! I was looking through the back door as a baldy swooped down at the girls! One ran for the bushes and two ran for the pen but the eagle followed them into the pen!!! I ran out yelling and clapping but now the eagle can't figure out how to get out - it's flying right into the mesh walls while the chickens are running in circles in a panic. I finally got the eagle out and the girls are okay, but terribly spooked to say the least. I wish I could have taken a picture while still trying to save my hens! But alas. I was within a few feet of the biggest bird I've ever seen!

No more free ranging for our girls! I've been letting them out daily while we're at work and it's been all good. But this morning, we witnessed (and intervened in) a really close call with a bald eagle!!! I was looking through the back door as a baldy swooped down at the girls! One ran for the bushes and two ran for the pen but the eagle followed them into the pen!!! I ran out yelling and clapping but now the eagle can't figure out how to get out - it's flying right into the mesh walls while the chickens are running in circles in a panic. I finally got the eagle out and the girls are okay, but terribly spooked to say the least. I wish I could have taken a picture while still trying to save my hens! But alas. I was within a few feet of the biggest bird I've ever seen!

Oh wow! That must have felt like a great attack. I'm glad your birds are safe! I always thought of Bald Eagles as fish eaters, but I guess if the opportunity presents... :eek::

I had no idea the size of them until moving up here and seeing the pair by the 520 bridge each morning. Holy smokes.

I've had a few eagles circle the property. Usually the resident crow flocks run them off. There are 4 groups of crows nesting within a 1/4 mile radius of my property. My acre is basically a no fly-zone.

We had a terrible mother sit on some eggs, she broke most of them but one hatched. She won't take care of it so now it's under a lamp. It needs a friend, anyone in the Kent Covington area have a chick to get rid of? Ours is 2 days old.
Poor chickie. A stuffed animal will help in the mean time. Have you checked craigslist for chicks?

We had a terrible mother sit on some eggs, she broke most of them but one hatched. She won't take care of it so now it's under a lamp. It needs a friend, anyone in the Kent Covington area have a chick to get rid of? Ours is 2 days old.
Awww, I hope you find another chick or two soon. Agree about checking Craigslist, and what about a local poultry group on Facebook?

What an experience!!!
hide.gif

We have so many hawks and bald eagles nesting in our neighborhood. Also a couple of crows' nests, so they do usually run them off.
But I did watch a hawk attack one of their nests (from a distance, thank goodness). There must have been 30+ crows circling and dive bombing the hawk, but I don't think it worked.
But I also watched them run off two red tail hawks.

Awww, I hope you find another chick or two soon. Agree about checking Craigslist, and what about a local poultry group on Facebook?

What an experience!!! :oops:

We have so many hawks and bald eagles nesting in our neighborhood. Also a couple of crows' nests, so they do usually run them off. 
But I did watch a hawk attack one of their nests (from a distance, thank goodness). There must have been 30+ crows circling and dive bombing the hawk, but I don't think it worked.
But I also watched them run off two red tail hawks.
I'm bummed because they were really enjoying free ranging but now I'm worried.

I'm bummed because they were really enjoying free ranging but now I'm worried.
It is a rough decision when you only have a few BY chickens. People say you have to accept losses, but if you have 3-4 chickens, losing one chicken is a 25-30% loss!!!

I decided to extend my run using U posts + deer fencing on the sides, with poultry netting over the top. This is connected to my coop/run via a short tunnel. So it is sort of a secondary, day time run only.
They have more room during the day, then I let them out for an hour or two in the evening when I'm home and my dog is out.

Back
Top Bottom