Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

They take 3 weeks to hatch, so it would be some time around the end of March.  
I am in Everett. Not sure how far that is from you. The timing would be good. Do yours have the dark chocolate eggs? I guess I should have asked that up front. I am looking to round out my Easter basket ;)

Has anybody here had experience with Andalusian chickens? I've just seen pictures, do they do OK in the cold? How do they do egg laying? I'm thinking about getting a couple new checks, one that lays white eggs and one that lays dark eggs. And that was one of the breeds the feed store has. They also have brown or silver leg horn's. Any experience with those?

I am in Everett. Not sure how far that is from you. The timing would be good. Do yours have the dark chocolate eggs? I guess I should have asked that up front. I am looking to round out my Easter basket
wink.png
Yes, they are dark.
I am about an hour from Everett.

Has anybody here had experience with Andalusian chickens? I've just seen pictures, do they do OK in the cold? How do they do egg laying? I'm thinking about getting a couple new checks, one that lays white eggs and one that lays dark eggs. And that was one of the breeds the feed store has. They also have brown or silver leg horn's. Any experience with those?
Leghorns are the what I grew up with they are egg laying machines
I have no idea of others look at some the reviews on here

Get one of each. They all lay at about the same rate, and they all can tolerate cold fine, provided there is ample ventilation.

I am from orcas island. We have a family ran farm. I do all the internet stuff. I find out interesting stuff to take back and show them.for the farm. The farm is call The Highland farm

Hi there Western Washington! A question about egg laying in the winter. I have 2 RIRs and this is their 2nd winter. Last winter they barely slowed down laying, but this winter they have completely stopped for a couple of months now. I am not completely surprised, as it has been colder this year, and one of them had an impacted crop (treated, whew!) followed by undergoing a hard molt right at the coldest time, then the other followed with a small molt. Shortly prior to all of that I had changed over to scratch and peck layer feed, which they seem to like ok, but part of me blames it for all of their changes...
hmm.png

I keep waiting for them to start laying again, as the daylight hours are creeping longer. What can I expect for a pair of almost 2-year old hens? I expected them to continue to slow in laying rate as they age, but now really hope that they just start up again eventually. We plan to keep them either way, but golly, those past eggs sure were expensive... When do your hens get back into their normal "summer" production rates?

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom