Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

is that the limit where you live? We are in very small town no stop lights one at the
highway into town where you turn. One of the gals here she works at the store started with 26 then Dad handed her all of theirs, she has 74 now.. we chat bird stories all day down there

I'm at 53 birds now counting my nasty Welsummer rooster was up to 94 with all the meat birds glad to get numbers down think some of the older hens will be dispatched this fall. I wonder if the senior center would want the older hens for stock and soup they would be good for that there will be to many for me to use all of them. I can't justify keeping birds that are not giving eggs well or at all there are at least 8 out of 18 that need to go but I kind of like most of them it's going to be hard to take them out.

it is entertaining to say the least no doubt but work also I am in the coops
everyday cleaning I use deep litter method and keeping it clean can be entertaining to say the least

I have 30 adult or mostly adult silkies and 12 chicks in their pens.

21 assorted large fowl hens and 3 silkie roosters in the big pen.

Grand total of 66 at the moment.

I need to set more silkie eggs. I have a list of people for the cull pullets. That works for me. Most of the boys have to grow out before I choose on them. Then we have black chicken soup.

All of the chicks from this last batch have been unusually friendly and curious. A trait from their grandmother. That is without handling. Nice side effect of breeding this big rooster. I was expecting a couple like that but he passed it to all of them. I want to see if the next batch is the same.

I have been doing the deep litter method also works really well. The chickens are fun some more so than others I have 3 groups and all 3 are different but the golden sexlinks are all like lap chickens with them are cockoo Marans and they are just not friendly not mean just not friendly. Another group there are Welsummers, cream Legbars, Olive eggers and black copper Marans they follow me around like dogs.

I have just six, just right for me, but I sometimes dream of a large and varied flock. There are just so many beautiful breeds! So I have 2 Barnevelders, a splash Ameraucana, an EE, and my latest addition is 2 young Swedish Flower Hen pullets. Got one egg today, total! lol!

Back
Top Bottom