Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My coops in my barn do have chicken wire up high some day if a coon would show up I would possibly be in trouble but haven’t seen any around here and I have been here 5 years now. My big coop and run outside is 100% 1/2” hardware cloth top to bottom with a 2’ piece of the same hardware cloth as an apron coming out and buried haven’t had anything try to dig through it other than that god awful Badger and he just went back under the concrete pad of the coop then tunneled 15 feet and popped up in the run, they are horrible creatures.

Yes they are mean, that one morning when I came out to the barn early and opened the door slow and quiet there he was eating one of my broodys through the cage. I was between him and his hole he came running at me with lightning speed growling and snarling. I was back peddling digging in my pocket for my little pistol and frantically got of two quick shots and missed but that turned him to go down his hole. It was scary. He didn’t make it next time around I was ready when I opened the door, he was over 20 pounds of teeth and claws. Actually a beautiful creature but can’t be living in my barn.

A friend of mine had to get rid of a bunch of roosters today. She let her broody hen hatch out checks, and ended up with three females and seven males :-( she found good homes for two of the roosters and gave the other ones to a family that will eventually make soup out of them. I was really helping she’d get more females, because I want to change out a few of my chickens this year. I will give three or five of my oldest ones to that family and get new ones this fall.
Is it really unusual to get a ratio like that? I’ve never had a rooster so I’ve never hatched out eggs myself so I thought it was about a 50-50 ratio. Maybe that is just the average.

A friend of mine had to get rid of a bunch of roosters today. She let her broody hen hatch out checks, and ended up with three females and seven males :-( she found good homes for two of the roosters and gave the other ones to a family that will eventually make soup out of them. I was really helping she’d get more females, because I want to change out a few of my chickens this year. I will give three or five of my oldest ones to that family and get new ones this fall.
Is it really unusual to get a ratio like that? I’ve never had a rooster so I’ve never hatched out eggs myself so I thought it was about a 50-50 ratio. Maybe that is just the average.
My understanding is that it's supposed to be 50/50 with perhaps a little male leaning.

I've given away 9 cockerels so far...I have 13 chickens left, and of those there are 6 more that I'm sure are cockerels, and 3 that I'm really hoping aren't. For the love of God, please let Princess Poof be a pullet :fl:he

Hey SW WA peeps, is there anyone local who makes coops that can deliver partially disassembled so I can get it into my yard easily? I have seen 2 localish (Portland) builders on CL and FB but they don't respond to my inquiry. I need a coop run combo that I can put together myself quickly. Please feel free to DM me. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom