Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

@Hinotori , Do you eat the silkies and if so, how do you cook them? I roasted one of our roos (during the whole "roo debacle") and it turned out so weird we couldn't bring ourselves to eat it.

Soup. It's the easiest way to use such a small bird. I have made shredded chicken as well. Pressure cooker is the best way in these temps. Soup also helps if you have issues with the meat color.

Silkies are more like eating pheasant if you fry them. Not a baking bird. Even my ameraucana cockerels haven't been anything like the bland store chicken. I grew up eating pheasant and home raised dual purpose chicken so I actually don't really like commercial chicken and especially hate the breast on them.

Good morning everyone! I've been offline a bit and just got caught up on what's happening in WA! :D We are having a hot streak here...today it will be 102, tomorrow 107, Friday 106...too hot for me, my chickens & my rabbits!

We got our first eggs yesterday, 4 of them...that we know of! Two were laid in the nesting boxes, one was in the pen near the water and I went on an Easter egg hunt and found one in the free range pen!!! I'm going to have a colorful egg basket! I believe the largest is from one of my Welsummers, the green one is either from one of my EE's or my Sapphire Olive Egger!

I'm going to weigh my eggs, just because I'm curious to see the difference between the first eggs and the ones laid later!

52g, 41g, 32g & 31g!
52g 41g 32g 31g Egg Basket for 7.28.20.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Hello! New to BYC but not so much chickens! Found this thread this morning. I’m in Spokane, WA

Good morning everyone! I just got caught up on what's happening in WA! :D We are having a hot streak here...today it will be 102, tomorrow 107, Friday 106...too hot for me, my chickens & my rabbits!

We got our first eggs yesterday, 4 of them...that we know of! Two were laid in the nesting boxes, one was in the pen near the water and I went on an Easter egg hunt and found one in the free range pen!!! I'm going to have a colorful egg basket! I believe the largest is from one of my Welsummers, the green one is either from one of my EE's or my Sapphire Olive Egger!

I'm going to weigh my eggs, just because I'm curious to see the difference between the first eggs and the ones laid later!

52g, 41g, 32g & 31g!

Welcome to Both of you further south of west of you Mossyrock here

Back
Top Bottom