Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Here’s oursView attachment 2378430View attachment 2378431
It works fairly well, and under the shavings are some stall mats so we can hose it off easily when cleaning.
We only have our standard size chickens in this one, as the bantams have their own separate coop.

Ooh! That’s so cool! We’re going to add to our coop this next summer - and make an area like that, where it’s just wire mesh all around

We hit 21 last night. About the limit before I shut the coop doors for the silkies. The large fowl coop is such that the human sized door is always open. No drafts can get to them. Never a frost bite issue when I had a few single combed birds.

Heck I've had silkies hatch eggs and have chicks on the ground outside in colder temps.

Chickens have their own down jackets. They will be fine. If they get too cold they snuggle together. I have flat 2x4s for roosts so they always sleep on their feet. I also put a board across the two roosts for those birds that like to pile a bit more. The young ones mostly.

I just realized it’s going to reach 30 tonight. The barn gets COLD. The chickens will be fine, right? Totally fine. Who, me worry? Nope.
:fl

Have to agree windows one in each room of banty coop are both still open they are higher than the birds ..
None of mine or my big girls coops are bothered daft over the birds is ventilation
is good not on them if they have feathers they are good

So! Everyone was fine. Six eggs today out of seven layers.

I wanted chickens for literally DECADES and finally got them this year after my spouse and I bought a farm in 2018. Chicken math hit hard and fast and I have 25 already, including Gunther (the best rooster of seven!).

I was worried they’d smell bad and they’d be a lot of work, but they’re SO EASY. And SO entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom