Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Early morning North Kitsap fire destroys outbuilding, kills chickens

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/oct/20/early-morning-north-kitsap-fire-destroys-kills/#ixzz29z1KGGun

People, people it is not cold enough on your side of the state to warrant a heat source for your birds. These are animals and they have evolved over eons to be able to withstand the winter weather if given proper shelter and access to food and water.

I know most of our regulars know this, but this is for all the newbies and lurkers.

Read more: [COLOR=003399][COLOR=003399]http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/oct/20/early-morning-north-kitsap-fire-destroys-kills/#ixzz29z1KGGun[/COLOR][/COLOR]

People, people it is not cold enough on your side of the state to warrant a heat source for your birds.  These are animals and they have evolved over eons to be able to withstand the winter weather if given proper shelter and access to food and water.

I know most of our regulars know this, but this is for all the newbies and lurkers.

That story is just so sad. In chickens coops people really need to know they don't need heat lamps here. The chickens have a winter coat on them 24/7 :/

Last edited:

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/oct/20/early-morning-north-kitsap-fire-destroys-kills/#ixzz29z1KGGun

People, people it is not cold enough on your side of the state to warrant a heat source for your birds. These are animals and they have evolved over eons to be able to withstand the winter weather if given proper shelter and access to food and water.

Thanks For sharing that. And to go with it I guess it may be time for me to get up on my !!!
PLEASE PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION HERE. DO NOT EVER use one of those cheap clamp on light fixtures for a heat lamp. Make sure that any fixture you use is rated for the size bulb you will use at the min. For heat lamps ONLY use the fixtures with ceramic base (where the bulb screws in). Like Jean said our adult birds DO NOT NEED heat.
Now let me relay a story of a friend who was also my former feed supplier.
She had a barn fire. Now we are talking a VERY big old barn, about 50'x150'. It burned to the ground. She lost the entire barn. All of the feed mill business and all of her breeding stock hogs along with several pigs that were already sold. When I helped clean up the mess we were able to determine that the cause was a heat lamp. While we couldn't determine if the lamp caught fire and then fell or if it fell causing the fire either way it was due to a bad heat lamp. Sadly all of that loss could have been prevented by using a GOOD light and / or making sure it was properly secured.
Yes I have posted this MANY times. And I will continue to post it periodically. IF i can save just one barn, coop, or bird it will all be worth it.

i live in the lower part of washington an i am looking for someone that ships quality birds for a fair price let me know asap

i live in the lower part of washington an i am looking for someone that ships quality birds for a fair price let me know asap

You may have better luck if you were to tell what breeds you are looking for!!

tivo09 Welcome to BYC and the Washington thread! Glad you found us!
By the way, the "lower part of Washington" extends from Vancouver to Clarkston, that's a pretty big area. :)
Are you looking for chicks or full grown birds? Show birds or good layers?
Have you considered buying them locally?
There is a Poultry Swap in Corvallis Oregon this Saturday and there will be a bunch for sale there.
There's also a show in mid-November in Chehalis and will likely have birds available for sale.

Back from grocery shopping: one more week down and another begun.

The weather today was rough, given the work I needed to do: wasn't a time where the cold rain didn't come in ten minutes before I could quit and go in the house.

Got, finally, a close-up look at the blue-and-gold invader chicken: she's got fuzzy legs, which means she's descended from one of the Dark Brahma Bantam pair: I'm going with the rooster over one of the elder blue hens (some of them were hatched last fall) which were, in turn, either wheaten EEs or RSLs.

Looking at this, I see that her legs were much less feathered ten days ago, so now I don't feel so dumb for overlooking her lineage.

I swear I'm going to tell my cousin that if they outgrow the pasture fence gaps they're coming through while they're on my side of the fence, that means they're mine.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I'd like to hear from as many of the seasoned chicken farmers here as I can. This is a topic that's been on my mind for quite a while and I just seem to be forever kicking it around in my head. So here goes....

I have just 3 hens. I got them because I wanted eggs and never thought about them becoming pets, and I've tried to remain as objective as possible knowing that at some time they will 'move on', one way or another. The way is my topic of discussion.

As the girls age their egg production will drop to the point that it's unreasonable for me to keep them. My EE has never been a heavy layer and by next summer will probably being giving us only 2-3 eggs per week. I know everyone has to deal with this issue eventually. So I'd like to know... at what point do you say good bye to a hen, and when you do what do you do? Sell, butcher, give away, send to a chicken retirement community? I went to the Enumclaw chicken auction yesterday and it sort of surprised me that I felt bad watching the birds getting sold, thinking how rough they were being treated, what their new home would be like, etc.

So, those of you with a few years experience, please add your voice to this. I'd really like to know what you feel is a practical solution.

Thanks very much

Back
Top Bottom