1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washingtonians

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Napalongtail, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

4cats3kids1hubby2many Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:CL : I love the gizmos you have.
    I've use your fence idea with the bird netting idea and am building my own.
    The hatching in a plastic basket will be used in my hatcher next week for my first duckie.
    The plastic tub thing will come next, but I was also thinking of inverting the halloween tubs.
    And now there is a water can?
    I just got to see it.
    And when I'm finally done buildig all these new toys and duck run / coop, I'll show you my oics.
    What an enabler!

Where exactly can one buy bird netting? I could really use some.

2. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Well, I lost my cocci girl..... [​IMG]
    I think she may have aspirated some of the water/medicine/or energy booster I was giving her. She kind of acted like she had a seizure and couldn't breath and was gone. My fault. I feel awful.

So now.... from what I have read and have been told. My girls will be on chlorinated water at all times. I have purchased 2 tubs to fit under their roosts that can easily catch the poop in question, then I can easily dispose of it. I will now treat once a month for Cocci, with or without signs.

My food is outisde as it seemed cleaner out there, but I think I need to rearrange the coop and come up with a better game plan and get the food back inside. sticky traps for mices are set. Here in a bout a month we will have a truck load of sand delivered and the run will be bedded in sand (I have heard from a couple of people that this helps).

Nasty parasitic monsters killing my poor ladies, I am just sure it is in the ground and all my native tweety birds are not helping. I feel awful. I could set up a matt with a disinfectant in it so that they have to walk across it to get into and out of the hen house to help clean their footies...... Ya, know, this may not be a bad idea. I just can't think what else to do.

3. blueducklings

blueducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Redmond, WA
    Quote:CL : I love the gizmos you have.
    I've use your fence idea with the bird netting idea and am building my own.
    The hatching in a plastic basket will be used in my hatcher next week for my first duckie.
    The plastic tub thing will come next, but I was also thinking of inverting the halloween tubs.
    And now there is a water can?
    I just got to see it.
    And when I'm finally done buildig all these new toys and duck run / coop, I'll show you my oics.
    What an enabler!

Where exactly can one buy bird netting? I could really use some.

I got mine from ACE hardware in the plant & garden section. I bet any Home Depot type store will have it too.

4. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:Where exactly can one buy bird netting? I could really use some.

I got mine from ACE hardware in the plant & garden section. I bet any Home Depot type store will have it too.

Great. I never thought to look at Home Depot. Great idea. I need something for the top of my run. Last year I put extra-strength landscaping cloth and this past year's snow tore it all down. I think that bird netting would be more realistic. It is not the plastic kind is it? That would seem to rot awful fast and break. I was assuming it would be the more roap or cloth type (I don't know what to call it)

5. blueducklings

Jan 21, 2011
    Redmond, WA
    Quote:So sorry to hear about the tramatic death of your birdie. [​IMG]
    It can't be your fault. You did all you knew how to.
    Maybe you can kill the paracites by torching down thedirt in the run?
    Sprinkle bleach on it afterwards?
    [​IMG] just an idea.
    I wonder if I should bleach my duckie's water too.
    They'll be sparkley clean.

6. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Quote:I am not sure how heavy netting you want or what you are doing with it. I do know that our local Hellmart sells some.
    I have some netting that I got from eagle2026 about a year ago. It is regular fishing net with about 2x2 holes. It works great for top of runs. I really don't think there is much chance of you getting any fishing nets from the boats over there.

7. T Hi

T Hi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I need the snow! [​IMG] I'm not ready to go back to work. I can barely mope around the house! It's so overwhelming and exhausting to even think about!!!!

Ugh! [​IMG]

8. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Quote:I am not sure how heavy netting you want or what you are doing with it. I do know that our local Hellmart sells some.
    I have some netting that I got from eagle2026 about a year ago. It is regular fishing net with about 2x2 holes. It works great for top of runs. I really don't think there is much chance of you getting any fishing nets from the boats over there.

CR....I think that might work. We are wanting to keep my birds in and big birds and cats, coons, etc out. We don't have a Hellmart. Never heard of it actually. [​IMG] Would you want to sell some of your netting? PM me, if I don't respond say something to me here as I am not sure that the PM is always working right.

9. blueducklings

Jan 21, 2011
    Redmond, WA
    Quote:I got mine from ACE hardware in the plant & garden section. I bet any Home Depot type store will have it too.

Great. I never thought to look at Home Depot. Great idea. I need something for the top of my run. Last year I put extra-strength landscaping cloth and this past year's snow tore it all down. I think that bird netting would be more realistic. It is not the plastic kind is it? That would seem to rot awful fast and break. I was assuming it would be the more roap or cloth type (I don't know what to call it)

It is plastic, but a very fine mesh. .5 X.5 inch so the flying birds don't get caught in it.
    I've seen nets with bigger holes and the birds get cahght in it. I dunno, I thik that would just make me freak so bad the bird would be dead before the "fireman" or any other non bird fearing help can come. Last year my very brave neighbour came to help one of the hawks that flew into my bedroom window, but he is in Idaho now. Actually all he did was bury it for me. [​IMG] I was a good 20 feet away. [​IMG]

10. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
    If I look to see how much I have, there is a chance that I could have some more.
    I know its like 16' wide and not sure how long I have?
    What are you looking for in length?
    Mike

Is it even worth me going to see if I have any more?
    just wonderin'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by