Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for everyone. One of the chicks that hatched overnight last night(a dark one) is holding it's head straight up in the air and wagging it back and forth almost constantly. I'm thinking it has some sort of mental deficiency.
hu.gif
And it has some sort of a weird growth on the underside of it's body. So how does one go about culling if it's warranted? My skin is thickening but I've never had to cull a chick. How long do you wait to give it a chance? Thanks for any input!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
If it isn't normal soon, I would cull it...if I waited that long. It's never easy, especially with chicks, but the most humane way is a sharp pair of shears. I always lay down a plastic bag, put a paper towel down on top of that, lay the chick down, shears in place, and lay a paper towel over the top of everything so I don't have to SEE myself do it, just make sure your shears are in good position before you cover everything, give a good hard snip, roll everything up and out it goes.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I turned it all back on, warmed it up to mid 80's with a blow dryer then shut the lid. I dunno, there might be room in my bra for 23 eggs...
gig.gif
just think good thoughts for my babies
sad.png

While you are at it...tape the switch so no one can touch it...and tape it to the outlet and lable it witha big red tag....or put a rat trap on it.
lau.gif

Quote:
If it isn't normal soon, I would cull it...if I waited that long. It's never easy, especially with chicks, but the most humane way is a sharp pair of shears. I always lay down a plastic bag, put a paper towel down on top of that, lay the chick down, shears in place, and lay a paper towel over the top of everything so I don't have to SEE myself do it, just make sure your shears are in good position before you cover everything, give a good hard snip, roll everything up and out it goes.
hugs.gif

OK that was just too graphic.
sickbyc.gif
hide.gif

I was eating oatmeal.
sickbyc.gif

Sure its not a big belly button you see under the chick??

Last edited:
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Yes! Mom is going to order my incubator! I have been looking at hatching eggs at My Pet Chicken (they reliable enough? they have many rare breeds on there, i want to hatch my own eggs and hatch and resell the chicks because i can supply my area with uncommon and rare breeds than what the feedstore has. that and i have been wanting the pendencea, even if i have to dub them in the fall for winter.)

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=293#

and i am going to order the parts to put together my hydroponic NFT system. i will be busy when college ends....
jumpy.gif
D.gif

so soon i will be able to order eggs from you Illia. i may not have been able to get those chickens like i said but i will get a good amount of eggs!
woot.gif
addiction is soon to become chronic.... i need to find another dog kennel for a 3rd coop..... course the majority of my chickens roost in the pine trees 10-20 feet up. even the heavyweight brahmas go 20 up. course they hop from branch. and the seabright just looks too at home in the tree, silly lawn ornament.

Quote:
I have my husband hook the truck up to a box and they fall alseep. My girl friend puts them in a bag and sprays something in it.. Cant rmember what it is. sorry..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom