Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
ultasol, congrats on your miracle gosling! It has to be my runners that are laying because all I have are runners and bantams... those eggs are not bantam size.

Rob, I took a welding/blacksmithing class last year. I absolutely loved it.... well I loved the welding part of it, the blacksmithing bit was a tad hard on my arms. When I was much younger I tried hard to get into blacksmithing, but none of the shops would take on a woman. To my absolute disgust I got asked out on a few dates instead of hired. These days I don't think I have it in me to build my body up enough to wield a hammer everyday. Welding on the other hand. Now that's some fun. I was going to take the next class, and in preparation made a mockup of a chair I want to weld together. Soo... if you're really interested in showing Cindy how to weld, I would love to tag along. I would even try my hand at fishing!

I had the pleasure of learning from one of the best instructors around. His name is Mike Driscoll he is not just an instructor he is a professor of welding at Centralia College and a weld inspector. Mike also goes out into industry in the summer to teach/certify. He also hires on part time with companies so he can continue to learn new ways.

Well do we need to start a sign-up for welding 101? I would love to show how to do plasma cutting too. I think you guys/gals would love that. Plasma is a cutting process that uses compressed air and electricity. I can cut a line as thin as a pencil mark. Plasma puts very little heat to the metal so you can cut very thin stock and have no distortion. If we are going to do this we will need at least one welding hood or shield with a shade 10 lens. I will keep my eyes out but if ya happen to see any at like yard sales keep it in mind. If ya come up with one and the lens is damaged or mot the right shade they can be changed. My preference is auto darkening and you can get cheap ones at Harbor freight for about $50 or less.

Note to self start cleaning the shed
hide.gif
we may be havin visitors !!

Nyrial
I thought you were going to be gone for a week???? anymore info. on your move??? Hows your leghorns doing? laying everyday??? How many do you have? I got my two new ones last Thur. Boy are they flightly I can't get near them. they are worse then the one I already had.. Friday thru Sunday I got only one egg out of the two new ones. yesterday I got TWO, so hopefully they both will lay almost every day.

Just for fun I have a calendar out in the barn and I mark down how many brown and white eggs I get everyday. As of Jan 2 nd I have gotten 138 eggs
D.gif

So many questions! I can't handle the thinking... argh.

So let me see.. End of February/beginning of March.
Not yet, all I know is there is much talk. I know that Boeing is a large ship and turns slowly, but being in limbo is starting to wreak havoc on my nerves. So I'm jumpier than normal.
The leghorns are good, their combs are getting all floppy, and I get at least 1/2 every day. One likes to lay in the run
roll.png
They're getting friendlier, but kind of nippy (pecky) they like to peck at my fingers and toes a lot.

Gosh Donna, I am so excited. This is gonna be a fun weekend.

Gee Rob, I didn't think the plasma was a possibility. That would be great to get some instuction in your processes. Cool! My brother in law has a scrap metal recycling business in Tempe AZ. He has a plasma torch(correct?) and I know it was an expensive tool, but invaluable to his work. Thanks for being willing to share it with us for a while.

Yippee! Cindy is finally gonna get to put her hands on some welding. I can't wait!

And fishing too. That is like hot steamy dark coffee on my rich french vanilla icecream.

ultasol

duc.gif
In all of my welding/fishing excitement I forgot to send out some
jumpy.gif
Congrats to you.
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
That is the greatest miracle. And a Sebastopol to boot. Fantastic. What will you name her/him. I suggest Miracle. Good for a boy or girl.
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif

Last edited:
I've had two injuries that required medical attention in my life. One was the partial amputation of a toe when a horse fell on me, and the second was a very large burn that occurred when I was arc welding.

I was in FFA in high school and doing some equipment repairs using the old arc welder. I had on jeans and a leather apron, the helmet was down, and I kept feeling heat on my leg. Our machine was OLD and would blow hot air, so I thought that was what I was feeling. I didn't want to lose my bead so I kept going, until I realized I was welding with my arm completely extended, was as far from the machine as I could be, and the heat on my leg was still scorching. Threw back the helmet and my jeans were on fire!

My skin was shiny yellow, purple, green, and blue- an incandescent rainbow- and my jeans were glued around the edges.

I still have some mild scarring, but for years it was a defining feature. Other than the healing (ouch) it wasn't all that bad.

I wish I had a welder, there is some stuff I would *love* to make for my garden...

Last edited:
I am gonna have to check with my dad and see if he has any of his equipment. It would all be pretty old, but probably could still do the job if I love doing this. Anyway until I can save up and buy some of my own.

Hi Imp,
Doesnt 168 go to the high school? If it does my husband use to live on it when he grew up, his family is the one that would paint the frontroom window every year with a BIG Christmas picture.
wee.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom