Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Illia,

There are some almonds, grapes, and peaches that will grow in western Wa. Just bugged is correct that you need to be careful of variety and location.
I have never tried almonds, but had friends on Vashon that grew almonds. Their trees were young and looked good. When they said it would be 7-10 years before they got nuts. I was like OK, not for this impatient person. They had theirs out in the middle of their yard.

Have never tried grapes, but see them around. Another plant that takes a long time to produce, and are tricky to prune.

Peaches- Just read a couple weeks ago that their are 3 varieties of peaches now that will grow well in western Wa. I have a "Frost" peach. Can't remember the other varieties. I got the Frost because I had friends with one. Mine grows like a weed. I have it in a micro-climate between houses where it is sunny & heat is trapped. Produced the first year, and I get lots of large peaches. I've had it about 4-5 years now. I really don't need to do much with it. Drawbacks I've encountered are:
Can't figure out how to prune it. I tried a couple years ago to prune like an apple, didn't work so well, but it recovered well. I'm thinking it needs whole branches removed or just small tips, not partials. So now that's what I do. Although I'm just pruning to shape, not reduce size.
The peaches ripen a little unevenly, I find some ripe and soft on one side and hard on the other. LOL! I think that's because mine is between houses and crammed between a plum and apricot. so the light is uneven. They cook well and taste great. Also the fruit ripens at different times, so expect to be picking for 2-3 weeks. I get so much fruit from this tree that the branches get weighed down to the ground. I have to prop up the branches, so they won't break. I got mine from a local nursery so it was big when I got it. Raintree would be a great resource. I buy a lot from them. And if you have specific questions you can call Raintree and ask to speak to their horticulturists.

Good luck,

Russ

ETA- Here's a pix of my peach last year. Kinda hard to see because of the jungle. It is the large tree above the raspberries in the center of the pix. Taken on the 4th of July.

15498_img_0046.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That's terrible. I hate coyotes. There was one at the edge of the field the other morning when I went out to let out my chickens/cats. I scared it off, but obviously, he's checking things out. I don't free range my chickens, though. I have a pretty big covered run, though. I'm going to be making it bigger this summer, also. The cats stay in the shed at night, also. I've had coyotes steal cats in the night before so I'm not taking any more chances with that.

Coyotes are always my biggest fear, I feel so bad for you.

I have a very secure run, but have started letting them out in a fenced portion of the yard next to their run, but only on days we are home. Cats disappear on a regular basis around here and I know it is to coyotes and our yard is not fully fenced. My girls get so excited about their free range time, in fact they left half of their breakfast uneaten (mexican restaurant leftovers) in their rush to get outside this morning.

I'll have to check out the party pictures-sounds like fun!

Hi! I just got signed up today! I have loved all the great advice on BYC! I am looking for a couple Runner ducklings. I got a fenced pen all cleaned up and ready to go and my 15 year old twins and I are beyond ready! Now we just can not find our ducklings! I'm afraid to have them shipped. Any suggestions?

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Ducks are the best! Don't be afraid to have them shipped. I've had all mine shipped. I won't have runner ducklings for another month or more, or I'd get you set up right away.

Thanks. Do you think it would be ok for us to have just 3 hens together? I only want them for pets, eggs and to have a all you can eat buffet of bugs and slugs in my yard! Shipping them looks like it will run me $50-60 for only 3! Holy Smokes! We wanted a black, white, and I believe it's a gray(the mallard looking ones). But I do like the look of the fawn and whites too! Do I sound crazy!? I'm going to check Del's and the Graham feed store they both said they are getting ducklings in this week but of course do not know what kind!

Quote:
Illia,

There are some almonds, grapes, and peaches that will grow in western Wa. Just bugged is correct that you need to be careful of variety and location.
I have never tried almonds, but had friends on Vashon that grew almonds. Their trees were young and looked good. When they said it would be 7-10 years before they got nuts. I was like OK, not for this impatient person. They had theirs out in the middle of their yard.

Have never tried grapes, but see them around. Another plant that takes a long time to produce, and are tricky to prune.

Peaches- Just read a couple weeks ago that their are 3 varieties of peaches now that will grow well in western Wa. I have a "Frost" peach. Can't remember the other varieties. I got the Frost because I had friends with one. Mine grows like a weed. I have it in a micro-climate between houses where it is sunny & heat is trapped. Produced the first year, and I get lots of large peaches. I've had it about 4-5 years now. I really don't need to do much with it. Drawbacks I've encountered are:
Can't figure out how to prune it. I tried a couple years ago to prune like an apple, didn't work so well, but it recovered well. I'm thinking it needs whole branches removed or just small tips, not partials. So now that's what I do. Although I'm just pruning to shape, not reduce size.
The peaches ripen a little unevenly, I find some ripe and soft on one side and hard on the other. LOL! I think that's because mine is between houses and crammed between a plum and apricot. so the light is uneven. They cook well and taste great. Also the fruit ripens at different times, so expect to be picking for 2-3 weeks. I get so much fruit from this tree that the branches get weighed down to the ground. I have to prop up the branches, so they won't break. I got mine from a local nursery so it was big when I got it. Raintree would be a great resource. I buy a lot from them. And if you have specific questions you can call Raintree and ask to speak to their horticulturists.

Good luck,

Russ

ETA- Here's a pix of my peach last year. Kinda hard to see because of the jungle. It is the large tree above the raspberries in the center of the pix. Taken on the 4th of July.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/15498_img_0046.jpg

Thank you so much! Yeah, I'm figuring the Almond tree won't produce well for quite some time. The peach tree gives good news to me!
smile.png
As for the grapes, yeah, I really hope I learn pruning well. All my trees, bushes, etc were purchased from Raintree and I'm still expecting more. I'm just hoping all goes well.
smile.png

Forecast now calls for cold weather. PLEASE do not snow or freeze in Forks, nature. . .

Hi, I'm in Bothell, soon to be annexed into Kirkland. I have 3 pet hens who lay enough eggs for my family and even some spares for family and neighbors.

Do any of you folks in the Seattle/Everett/Snohomish area have hatching eggs I can set? I have my incubator running and ready. I've found folks in Eatonville and Kingston who have eggs - and a guy in Gig Harbor who advertises Copper Marans - but I don't want to burn a tank of gas getting them, and don't really want to try my luck with shipped eggs anymore. 50% is such a sad live-hatch percentage.

Any breed is good. Purebreds preferred. I'll pay cash up front & stay in touch about hatch % if you're curious about fertility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom