Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the welcome Terrascritters! I love your website, especially the part about what to do with old birds. My DH asked what we would do with our hens when the did not lay anymore. I told him that I would build them a new coop and let them keep the horse company. They will not owe us anything! Not at organic eggs at $4 a dozen!

I am here on Fox Island, west of Tacoma. We got six chicks last spring and just lost two to a neighbor dog about 6 weeks ago. I've since added a low hotwire and replaced the 2 deceased with two Ameraucana show breeders' rejects.

We are in the process of getting horses, they should be here on our property by the end of January. I'm hoping the chickens and horses will enjoy each other.

Once my children show me that the horse thing is long term I have plans for a fabulous barn with a chicken coop on the end. In the meantime, my parents built me a great chicken tractor for Christmas last year.

Quote:
The horses shouldn't be a problem. My horses and chickens get along fine. However, be cautious at first. I've heard of horses who deliberately chased and killed chickens (or dogs, or cats, etc.). Frankly, a horse like that would not be long on my property.

Cheers,

Neb
Kingston

I have seen many people do it without issue, but have one picky friend who read that chickens and horses together was a bad idea, because of droppings on the ground that the horses could get when grazing? To me, it would be some where along the same issue with wild rabbit droppings in the pasture etc. Has anyone thought of this?

Congrats on the chickens and horses, you will love them!

Hi all!

I'm from Newman Lake, WA about 2 miles from the Washington/Idaho border. I raise large fowl ameraucanas and currently have about 125 birds.

I also purchased runner ducks last year and have three pairs of sebastopols.

I'm glad I found your site! I joined another site in October and I must say alot of the people on there argue and fight alot. It's nice to see people being nice to each other!

Jean

Puyallup here. Have had plenty of chickens, ducks, geese before when I lived in eastern Wa. but no chickens right at the moment. Won't be long. Incubator is on a dry run as we speak. Looks like its holding ok, so will be ready to try hatching something out. Have done that before also, but its been awhile, quite awhile. Karen

Hey folks. New here. I am finally starting to get serious about setting up a coop here and want to have some laying Araucanas. I haven't started looking around much here yet, but I can see I will probably be spending way too much time doing just that.
lol.png

I will be looking for coop and pen suggestions, as well as tips on pest and predator prevention. We have 5 barn cats and 1 yellow lab, plus lots of skunks, opossums, bald eagles, hawks and coyotes in this area.

If anyone is looking to part with some chicks or pullets in the coming months, I may be interested.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm in Kitsap County, not far from you Maddhatter. We love the rain at our place because it's "free" water for refreshing the duck pond and also because every single puddle gets put to good use!

My husband says he wants to start keeping chickens, because ducks are just too cute to eat.
tongue.png

Quote:
I will have some hens come spring, but they are mainly RIR, buff Orps. and Austrolorps. BTW welcome everyone!!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom