Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I got these little chicks at the Bothell Feed Store, they were down to their last dozen or so. I wanted to go to Monroe Feed Store as they have a better selection, but had timing issues.

My EEs Chubby Cheeks and Caramel are from the Bothell feed store as well, from last spring. They lay nice blue eggs, almost the same color as my true Ameracuanas.

Does anyone have guesses on the breeds?

Two consumer alerts, of a sort: 1. I had a bale of what was supposedly orchard grass hay bought for me at Kipperts in Tumwater (south of the airport)- it cost the same as at Del's but was not nearly orchard grass per se; there was a lot of alfalfa in it, of the Very Old Not Mowed Last Year Mostly Stem sort of alfalfa, which means I can't give it to the chickens as greenery/bedding/toys, and, worse, it had one whole flake that was nothing but pigweed. Not only not orchard grass: barely hay. 2. Gordon's in Yelm has Holy Mole pepper plants (allegedly; I bought one at least partly because I want to see if it is) for $8.99 for a single plant. It's an admission on their part that they no longer are a store for serious gardeners and have turned into a tourist trap and place for people with more money than sense. Also: my sister just put four yearling steers on pasture to sell as grass fed beef in late September or early October. Price is estimated as $3 a pound + cut and wrap + kill fee and may be a little less. Maybe. Smallest legal order she can take is a quarter but you can split with others on your own. This is run of the animal: you get some of everything. It is dry-aged and handled with respect at all stages of the cycle.

Last edited:
Two consumer alerts, of a sort:
1. I had a bale of what was supposedly orchard grass hay bought for me at Kipperts in Tumwater (south of the airport)- it cost the same as at Del's but was not nearly orchard grass per se; there was a lot of alfalfa in it, of the Very Old Not Mowed Last Year Mostly Stem sort of alfalfa, which means I can't give it to the chickens as greenery/bedding/toys, and, worse, it had one whole flake that was nothing but pigweed. Not only not orchard grass: barely hay.
2. Gordon's in Yelm has Holy Mole pepper plants (allegedly; I bought one at least partly because I want to see if it is) for $8.99 for a single plant. It's an admission on their part that they no longer are a store for serious gardeners and have turned into a tourist trap and place for people with more money than sense.
Also: my sister just put four yearling steers on pasture to sell as grass fed beef in late Septemper or early October. Price is estimated as $3 a pound + cut and wrap + kill fee and may be a little less. Maybe. Smallest legal order she can take is a quarter but you can split with others on your own.
This is run of the animal: you get some of everything. It is dry-aged and handled with respect at all stages of the cycle.

Where is your sister located? Is there ANY way for you to estimate the cost of a quarter or half cow? We've never bought that much before but reallly....reallllllly need to. We have a huge chest freezer that's basically empty and we're major carnivores ;) We have been mulling this over for a long while now and are interested.

Two consumer alerts, of a sort:

1. I had a bale of what was supposedly orchard grass hay bought for me at Kipperts in Tumwater (south of the airport)- it cost the same as at Del's but was not nearly orchard grass per se; there was a lot of alfalfa in it, of the Very Old Not Mowed Last Year Mostly Stem sort of alfalfa, which means I can't give it to the chickens as greenery/bedding/toys, and, worse, it had one whole flake that was nothing but pigweed. Not only not orchard grass: barely hay.

2. Gordon's in Yelm has Holy Mole pepper plants (allegedly; I bought one at least partly because I want to see if it is) for $8.99 for a single plant. It's an admission on their part that they no longer are a store for serious gardeners and have turned into a tourist trap and place for people with more money than sense.

Also: my sister just put four yearling steers on pasture to sell as grass fed beef in late Septemper or early October. Price is estimated as $3 a pound + cut and wrap + kill fee and may be a little less. Maybe. Smallest legal order she can take is a quarter but you can split with others on your own.

This is run of the animal: you get some of everything. It is dry-aged and handled with respect at all stages of the cycle.

Where is your sister located? Is there ANY way for you to estimate the cost of a quarter or half cow? We've never bought that much before but reallly....reallllllly need to. We have a huge chest freezer that's basically empty and we're major carnivores ;) We have been mulling this over for a long while now and are interested.

Brilliant, hit submit on an empty window, sorry.

We're in Lacey, but the pick-up is at Home Meats in Kamilche (south of Shelton). It'll be a chunk o'change (my last quarter was about $350 all together).

Last edited:
We're in Lacey, but the pick-up is at Home Meats in Kamilche (south of Shelton). It'll be a chunk o'change (my last quarter was about $350 all together).

Hmm, that's not too bad! How much meat do you estimate that was? Maybe 100lbs? Sounds like a good deal to me!

My 8 tonight, after putting themselves back into the coop from free-ranging the 1/2 acre all day, and then putting themselves to bed! Super.Duper.Cute!!! I'm so happy they're like "real" chickens now and not tiny babies who need so much supervision ;)
L-R: Ethel, Scarlett, Lay-a, Pip, Lucy, Tilda, Martha, Dartha (I've gotta convince the kids to rename her, I hate that name! LOL)

Hmm, that's not too bad! How much meat do you estimate that was? Maybe 100lbs? Sounds like a good deal to me!

depending on the amount per lb I would be interested in this as well....

More or less- I got all the soup bones and stuff, so it adds up. About a half (maybe? maybe a third?) of any order is ground beef, but it's gourmet gound beef, dry hung and all from one animal. It's tasty stuff, I feel guilty making chili from it. You get to choose how thick steaks are and the weight of roasts, and other variables, but you will get stew meat, spare ribs, flank steak, also. Mom always called that "recipe meat:" I made beef chili verde tonight (pork makes me ache all over these days) out of stew meat.

depending on the amount per lb I would be interested in this as well....

From my earlier post:

Also: my sister just put four yearling steers on pasture to sell as grass fed beef in late September or early October. Price is estimated as $3 a pound + cut and wrap + kill fee and may be a little less. Maybe. Smallest legal order she can take is a quarter but you can split with others on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom