Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just would like to make sure that I have the right location that we are meeting at today.

So is this the address??? 17171 Bothell Way Northeast, Lake Forest Park, WA 98155

I am excited to meet you all.
wee.gif

Here is a better pic of Gimp, with the splayed leg:

So, should I tape them together?

Jennifer
I would try the hobble with bandaid or medical tape. I can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work and the chick does fine with a gimp leg then I wouldn't worry about it. You tried, right? Very cute by the way!
big_smile.png

Quote: X2! What size are they? I have the 2 gallon buckets. 5 Gallon os just too big for me to hang. I don't have anything sturdy enough for that amount of weight.
I have 3 different sizes. The waterers are made from the small icing buckets net weight on the label says 14Lbs and 2 gallons is about half full. My feeders are made from the 15lb rectangle buckets. I store my food in the largest ones and they say 28Lb on the label. I had to put air holes in the waterers lids because the seal was so air tight that the water would not come out of the nipples! Here are some pics for y'all.

Here is one waterer, I put 4 nipples in these.

Here is the feeder. All the buckets are hung from the roof frame of the coop so I put wood blocks under
the feeder to keep it from swinging, and tipping since they seem to like to climb in it! If the holes where
smaller it would probably be better, but I was worried about the boys hurting their combs. I also made
sure to smooth the edges with my utility knife.

Here are the big ones. I can fit almost all of a 50Lb bag of food in 2 of them.
The lids seal VERY well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've thought about cutting the top and bottom off aluminum cans and cutting down one side then using them like those clay roof tiles. It would take us years to get enough to do even a little chicken coop roof.
Try going to office buildings and putting a bin (lined cardboard box) in for "Cans Only", that way, you don't have to drink all that nasty soda by yourself! You could save the longer cans for the peak of the roof
smile.png
I might just have to do that! Too bad, our cans are being claimed by a VERY SWEET woman who collects them for a homeless man, and she cooks for everybody all the time. Can't take those! I love the idear of making it "terracotta" tile-y! That sounds awesome!! I know in Iowa (maybe even Oregon) the cans were a lively hood for some people, collecting the refunds on them.

Quote:
Construction's not my game. Maybe VF could share his opinion.

UE,
Slinglings is only interested in a small amount of the flooring I got. There may be enough for you to use on the roof as well. You are welcome to all that's left. (See your PMs) Since you can get pallets for free could you use those boards as "lap siding" for the roof?

Russ

Like I posted earlier there really is no right or wrong. It's a matter of what works "best" for each of us. And also as I posted earlier the books are really little more than A BASIC GUIDE because the chickens live from a totally different set of books of which none of us will ever be allowed to see.

I agree. I think as you get older you begin to realize that book knowledge is good, but life experience is better.

I've met a few "Doogie Howser" docs who think they know it all because they just graduated with medical degrees and believe themselves to have the most current info. Many of them tout themselves as top-rated doctors (BTW... you know those "Top Docs" commentaries that come out in the paper - I learned those commentaries are often paid for by the Docs themselves. Unfortunately, I learned that after we went to a pediatric cardiologist who was one of Seattle's "Top Docs". How shall I word this... they guy was young, completely contradicted three well-respected cardiologists I've seen before, and thought quite a bit of himself. It would have been humorous, if my son had not been his patient).

I can give another doozy of a Doogie Howser example. My daughter, when she was small, had very bad eczema all over her legs. We didn't know what it was. We had never seen eczema before we had her. Our elderly, well-respected doctor, who also, at the time, sat on the board of American Academy of Pediatrics, was out on a sabbatical. We ended up having to be seen by a young doctor. He saw her and instantly said, without a doubt, that she was infected with a very bad mite. He said she had to have this expensive cream rubbed all over her, then her whole body wrapped in plastic wrap - and, in addition, our whole family had to do the same thing because the mite was extremely contagious. If I recall correctly, each tube of medication was about $200 per person.

I questioned him - and told him she had that rash for months, and no one else in the family had ever gotten anything like it. He insisted we were lucky and still prescribed the med for the whole family.

We went home, did what he said, got rid of every stuffed animal, disinfected every piece of bedding, etc., etc. We all treated ourselves. Yet, her rash never went away. Finally, after a few weeks, our regular doctor came back and we took her back in. When he saw her and saw what our family had been put through he was not happy (to put it mildly). He said this was no mite - it was eczema. None of our family members should have ever used that drug. Then he informed us the reason the drug we had been prescribed was so expensive is because it was extremely dangerous and was a very bad carcinogen, and the drug company has to charge a lot for it because of potential lawsuits. My 4-year-old and 2-year-old twins had a drug like that used on them because of a book-learned doctor who was absolutely positive he knew what the problem was.

Later we learned she was allergic to nuts.

Needless to say, I learned the hard way, that people who are educated with book knowledge, but don't have experience, have a very high chance of making mis-guided choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom