Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaaaaah.....I wondered where this thread might be....I live (technically) in the Beautiful Unincorporated Snohomish County. I'm so happy to see other peeps from WA!! Now I know that I can get more chickens....and more chickens....without having to worry about finding people to take my extra roos!(Not that I have any yet, Silkiechicken; don't get your crock pot started!)

hlhart,does chiquita have dark colored legs? With next to no comb I'd bet she's an EE (americauna) They only other breed that fits that color discription would be a fayoumi, but they have single combs.

Hello, all! I'm a new Washingtonian but not new to BYC or Chickens, although I usually post over on the EZ board BYC...

Anyway, I used to live in So Cal and had Seramas in my garage... and a few bantam cochins in the backyard coop... then my dream came true and we bought a 5 acre place near Pacific Raceways on the Kent/Covington border! Last weekend, my Seramas all went to live with a friend in Tacoma who will focus on showing and breeding them while I took her whole flock of mostly standard chickens. I have been having a ball naming them and getting to know their personalities! And, I am loving getting the huge eggs (and I mean HUGE - some of my girls are laying whopper brown eggs).

Here is what we have:

Dante - Red Shouldered Yokohama roo
Homer - his son who is from an unkown mom
Marlene Dietrich and Greta Garbo, my bantam cochin girls
Their 2 chicks that were fathered by Mr. Peanuts, a Serama roo that is now living at my friend's house
Unnamed but very pretty pullet - Homer's sister (trying to think of just the right name for her)
The Andrews Sisters - Exchequer Leghorns (3)
The Cinnamon Girls - Some kind of pretty buffy hens (5)
Gloria Steinem - a Brown Leghorn
Oprah Winfrey - a Black Star hen
Martha Stewart, a Black Jersey Giant who has:
14 mixed breed chicks sired by Dante and mothered by all the other hens!
Keiko Matsui, a bantam Dark Cornish hen
Jerry Brown, a white bantam Modern Game roo
5 juvenile chicks that are looking like they'll be 4 cockerals and a pullet (should just name them Stewie, Soupie, Fricassee, Dumpling and Frieda now since we aren't going to keep any more roos)

In a separate stall in the barn we have:
Sergent Stubby - a black red roo who was left at my friend's house with broken feet and strings that were tied around his legs and grown into his skin - he's doing really well now and should be really pretty after his moult
Peggy Sue, a bantam hen who has 3 chicks
Unnamed bantam Dark Cornish Hen who has 2 chicks

We also have 3 dogs and 4 goats - all rescues.

We are loving life up here in Washington! Anyone know of a local place we can get food grade DE? Somewhere in the South Sound area or Auburn/Kent/Renton?

Hope to get to meet some of you one of these days!

Hello all! I'm new here and hail from the Ravenna neighborhood of Seattle.
We have four 5-month old young ladies making their home in a compact backyard run:

Dot, a black-breasted red araucana
Prudence, a golden-laced wyandotte
Tilly, a black australorp (the only one laying as yet)
Veruca, a speckled sussex

Yes, we're only supposed to have three, but the neighbor promises to claim guardianship of the nonconforming pullet should the chicken police poke their noses in.
roll.png

Hey, I noticed a few of you in the Ephrata area. I grew up in Ephrata (Sagebrush Flats Rd, west of town), where we always had 20-30 chickens about. My family still lives there. I miss the acres of space for animals and gardening, and am happy to be able to recreate, in miniature, a bit of home here in the city.

Last edited:
Quote:
You know, I've never yet heard of anybody actually getting into trouble for going slightly over their "chicken allotment". A friend of mine in N Seattle has neighbors with roosters, even! She doesn't care, although the person next door with the yappy little dogs(!) doesn't like it.

Cheers,

Neb
Kingston

WOOT!
Go Washington!
Hey yall I am from Kent WA.
I raise mostly Bantams in Silkie, Frizzle, Cochin, & Grey, Snowy, White and Black/Blue Bibbed, Chocolate Call Ducks & I have one Black East Indy. We also have 14 adult button quail and 28 chicks, and we also have 6 adult coturnix quail and about 8 teen coturnix lol

Check out my website I hope to meet up with fellow WA members and trade buy and sell more birds!

I saw a little something about Food Grade DE sold in WA. Can someone please provide more info?! I just got some shipped to me and OUCH!
A friend of mine gets it for real cheap and is getting ready to try to sell it on Ovabid.com to make some money, she said what she will sell it for including shipping will STILL be way cheaper then the nearly $30 I paid including shipping for my get this SIX POUNDS!!

Thats just NUTS. Id love to find some close in our area. Thanks!

Hey that is NUTS!!! I got a 25 lb bag at the Co Op supply in Everett this summer for $16 I have barley used a fraction of it!!! I did have to look around for it though...Marysville and Granite Falls did not have it. The Everett Co Op seems to carry it on a regular basis...she said one guy feeds it to his lamas!!!

Food Grade DE is good for ANYTHING even people!
Works for mites worms fleas keeps flys away yada yada.
There is alot of info here on this site about it, this is where i bought mine, but I am defentaly looking for something cheaper for when I need it.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Where is the Everett Co op?

Yeah, I haven't justified buying the 40 lb bag of DE at the everett co op even though it is cheap. It is located on the intersection of Hewett and State in Everett. Just google map search "Feed Stores, Everett."

I'll be ordering chicks in the spring I hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom