Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I am new here. I am in Snohomish county on the boarders of lake Stevens, Granite Falls and Marysville. I have my chicks arriving the first week of May. I haven't had chicks in 30 years! Am I CRAZY!!! Yes, but I love chickens. I am getting Buff Brahams, Buff Cochins, BLR Wyandottes, Partridge Cochins, and Blue Cochins. SIGH.......................Sounds like a lot but there are only 25. I am very excited!! Now all I need to do is build a coop for my little babies. Hope to get tons of info from this forum.
Thanks,
lol.png
big_smile.png

Melody

Quote:
A bantam cochin roo (mille fleur) and probably a pair of lemon blue cochins.

If I could go, I'd be sooo tempted to get some Crevecoeurs if you had any.
big_smile.png

I will have some extras in June or July...that's when I'll be hatching eggs and selling extra chicks. Otherwise, I willl have some hatching eggs probably next month..

coopless
WELCOME.
yippiechickie.gif

I can see you are already starting out on the WRONG foot
barnie.gif
Why ? You don't have any WHITE LEGHORNS listed in the chickens you are getting
rant.gif

But you will learn over time
thumbsup.gif

Russ
Yep, I can bake
tongue2.gif
. the SMALLEST batch I make is 325 lbs think that would be enough???
hu.gif

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Melody,

I live in the newly annexed portion of Lake Stevens by US-2. Not too happy about it either, but that's another issue altogether.
roll.png

and
welcome-byc.gif
to the other newcomers, I haven't read back but a page or so yet, but I see lots of new names.

Hello Hello! I don't get to check here often enough because pages are piling up. I just found a deal at Lowes, not as good as the sheds someone got for like $80 and $50 but for me worth it. I was working out how to make the runner for my sliding pop door on the coop and came across some edging used for lattice. It will work great! and got about 3 feet worth for 50cents. Also saw some vinyl flooring for $13, 6ft by 7ft. Have to get that tomorrow. Lowes has way better markdowns and scratch and dent than Home Depot.

My DH promises that my coop and run will be ready for chickens by the end of May. I want one each of buff orp, rir, barred rock,and an ee. If anyone has them or will have some by then please let me know. I don't want young chicks 'cause I don't have the set up for babies. I'm willing to travel to get them. Thanks for the help.

Alice in Chickenland.

Quote:
Well, if you're willing to travel all the way down to Mossyrock, I could get some chicks at the store next week when I get my batch of chicks in the mail (I don't have those breeds coming besides the EE and buff orps and only have enough of the buff orps for me). The store almost always has those breeds in stock. I wouldn't mind raising them for a couple months like that
smile.png

Wow, I haven't logged on for quite sometime and was delighted to see how active the WA thread still is. I wanted to share that we hit our one year chicken ranching anniversary. AND I STILL LOVE EM! This has turned out to be such a fun and tasty hobby! I still get a little teasing and strange looks from people if I talk about my chickens n eggs, they just don't understand.

We did make a couple revisions to our original set up because of our extremely damp & dreary winters out on the coast. We needed to add cover to the run and also a couple inches of sand (one scoop of sand cost $13 dollars, a few hours with a wheelbarrow and no more mud). We did tack up a string of rope lights inside, set to give them a few extra hours of light each day.

I too am trying to stay out of the feed stores, I really would like to try another breed or two and am terribly tempted by rabbits...have you heard that chickens are the gateway farm animal to greater obsessions with farming? For a good laugh read the book Farm City...she started with chickens, ended up with geese, ducks, turkeys, pigs...oh my!

Balticbabe. Thanks for keeping up on this situation. We need to pay attention because it is this type of thinking that is the corporate worlds agenda.

If they had their way it would be illegal to grow or raise your own food.

This is where corporate AMERICA is going.
Anyone that doubts that I suggest educating yourself.
The info is out there.

Government day after day is telling people they will think for them. They know better then us.

There are enough sheep out there that need their hand held that go right along with that line of stinking thinking.
I bet those council people got a so called college education also. I have no use for people so ignorant.
To think people believe they have the right to take away from someone the right to supply their own food boggles my mind.
These people need to get on the first leaky ship leaving port.

Quote:
Wow AnnesChicks I hadn't seen ya in so long I thought ya were no longer around. You came back just a couple of weeks too late. We just had the FIRST ANNUAL Washington BYC gathering on Feb 28. It was a very good day of getting to put faces with names. Look back a few pages and you will be able to get a little bit of an idea what it was like, Kim also posted pics somewhere that her DH was so kind to take for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom