Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's pretty expensive just to get them store bought looking white eggs

Chicken Rustler
The key words are "store bought looking" yep they may look like store bought,but they DON'T taste like store bought.
tongue2.gif

24212_img_3724.jpg

All in a couple days - Now isn't that the prettiest sight! I love the colors we get cream to medium brown and all very tasty. Yes I do mean to brag - I am so darn proud of my little flock. Notice that a couple are so big they barely fit in the carton!

Spring is in the air and egg production is on the upswing. For eight hens we had a seven egg day, a "perfect day" can't be too far away!

I added a bit to my BYC page about what we learned this winter, and our set up isn't fancy but I'm pleased to say it is very functional!

Ok going to restock my chickens after my painfull loss this last weekend. This time I am going to mix up my flock. I want all brown layers no roosters. Coop is outside bedroom window and I learned my lesson well
wink.png

Any good suggestions. Do not want eggs to hatch, jub young chicks that I can come pick up. Money no object......This time my run will be predator proof!!!

Quote:
I've been very happy with the chicks I got from Cackle last year. Their chicks have had the lowest mortality rates of the three hatcheries I've ordered from. I only had 3 die from 15, and 2 were due to my dogs, so they don't count. The other had a crooked beak and died at about 6 weeks.

Quote:
Illia,
I am thinking about ordering some chicks from cackle I think 25 in like 54.00, not to sure but they are all different colors and St run, with my luck Iwill get alot of Roo's, Oh if I do I will let you ;)know. Oh and U R not that far just 2 hours away, lol!

Has anyone here ordered fron cackle?

What magical route are you taking? You live at least 4 hours away if you're in Roy.
wink.png

As for the rooster - Well, if it is from Cackle Hatchery, I'm likely not to take any. I really do not like hatcheries as their quality, especially in Polish, is so poor (yes hypocrite me has 4 hatchery polish hens. . .) and I only got lucky with a couple of my girls. Even if you end up with a really good looking one. . . Roy is really far away for one rooster, sorry. The next Polish I get will be Tolbunt or White from a breeder.

If you find a Tolbunt Polish please snag one for me too!!! I will hitch my chickens to a radio flyer to get to Forks to pick one up if needed. They are so pretty!

Anneschicks
yep,very pretty cartoon of eggs
woot.gif
BUT you know what would make them even PRETTY ?? A row of WHITE EGGS down the middle
clap.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Your not far away from a PERFECT day
tongue2.gif
I have nine hens ( five brown,four white) I get a perfect day two or three times a week. Mostly 8/9 (misssing a white egg) One of my white leghorns is messed up. she will go a day or two with out laying, then a rubber egg. Then she will lay a DOUBLE yoker. One week she gave me four double yokes out of six eggs
hu.gif

I checked out your BYC page:eek: VERY nice set up.

Back in Nov. I put a light in the coop. It would be on from 5:00- 8:00am. well I turned it off last week. I have NOT had a drop in number of eggs

Ok going to restock my chickens after my painfull loss this last weekend. This time I am going to mix up my flock. I want all brown layers no roosters. Coop is outside bedroom window and I learned my lesson well

Any good suggestions. Do not want eggs to hatch, jub young chicks that I can come pick up. Money no object......This time my run will be predator proof!!!

I'll suggest Monroe Farm & Feed again on HWY 2. They get a couple deliveries of birds a week, and they get a wide variety of breeds in. Just down the street is Del's, and they have chicks as well, but just your standard laying breeds. MF&F gets in bantam's as well as Standards and last time I even saw naked necks in there!!!

Tamara​

OK so who ordered this white
somad.gif
stuff that has been falling from the sky since yesterday. It started about 1:30pm yesterday and has been lightly snowing on and off since. Last night we were outside and looked up to see clear sky full of stars and snow falling
idunno.gif
ep.gif
. I have way too much to do outside for this and the cold !!! I was sure happy to have my insulated Carhartt bibs on yesterday.

AAAAHHH!!!!! This is the ONE year I do NOT want snow. . . And look what's now hovering over us? Snow clouds. No white stuff falling yet, but I know a snow cloud when I see it. . . And it is COOOLD outside today.
somad.gif

Yesterday was sunny. . . What happened to that. . .

Well, If it snows - I don't mind too much, just as long as it does not kill or harm any of my plants.

Quote:
People can say the same for brown eggs.
wink.png
For me, if it is white or brown the bird who laid it must be beautiful and an uncommon or rare breed. If it is any other color - Bring it on! I loove other colors. Except poor quality Marans eggs. And really pale Araucana eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom