Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
well after 3 days of not being sure. i am sure that i have a broody light brahma. its breast feathers are missing. i have isolated it. put some eggs (hope they are fertil, not sure how busy my roo's have been) and i amgoing to add a few more eggs today and switch out the golf balls so i think the chicken will have about 10 ish eggs with 2 bantm eggs in the mix.

the hen is in a chicken tractor i got, and her broody nest is a dog house... i tried a box but she wanted the dog house back..... so i bought another dog house for my hens to lay in while she occupies this...

my first broody after complaining of not having one for a few months... this hen is 11 months old. and the free silky bantm i got for free is 3 years old and has no interestin laying or sitting on eggs....cant even catch it...

Quote:
We met yesterday!
big_smile.png

And I cannot wait until my girls are in
woot.gif
4-H. And to everyone who missed the show yesterday missed out, it was my first time and I LOVED IT! I will go back, as all the people were friendly
frow.gif
and the FOOD
droolin.gif
was Great! My family had a good time to say the least. The Drive was Beautiful and well worth it.
wee.gif

Quote:
I drove down and back yesterday from Whidbey Island. I was up at 4:30 and on the first ferry at 5:30. I had no idea it was going to be quite so far or quite so beautiful there. Next time (and there will be a next time because there were some fantastic looking birds yesterday) I will go down for a night or two and take in the whole experience. Sounds like they are going to try to make next October's show even bigger (and I bet there might be some outstanding fall color in addition to the amazing feathered creatures).

Came home with two incredible Silkies, who make my current two look almost like they have regular feathers. But I wanted to bring home so much more - LOVED the standard sized cochins. I have a little bantam cochin, who is a real joy, but the standards were absolutely regal. And, I fell in love with a goose -- and there was also a silver laced Polish who really looked like she had attitude, and a cute little black frizzle roo (only ten dollars but he looked like he was really annoying the hens he was in with like mad, so thought it was best not to take a chance).

I didn't stay very long because I was worried about the long drive home, but now that I've had a taste - I'll be back. There is so much to learn, and next time I may have to do some homework before I go. MAYBE -- BIG maybe, one of my new little runner ducks will be worthy of showing as the parents are breeder/show quality from Holderreads. Though I think Dave Holderread mentioned that he doesn't like to show much in the last few years because they don't often don't allow/use? tall enough pens for displaying the Runners anymore. Not sure if I got that right or not ...

WOW we really should have met up lol! I think
lau.gif
You were sitting behind me when I was bidding on the Runners! I got 2 and I believe you got the Brown or Black. There were a few of us BYC members there we REALLY NEED
barnie.gif
SHIRTS! LOL I had such a Great
celebrate.gif
TIME. Enjoy your ducks as I am having so much fun with mine.
woot.gif
love.gif

The show was AWESOME! It made it ten times more fun once a couple of us BYCers met up! Oh boy are we a crazy group!'
celebrate.gif
'

Jen- You are the best!!! Thanks for showing me around!

Monica- We are like twins! My daughter LOVED playing with your girls and your new ducklings!! You lucky girl!

I thought that we all could have kept talking ALL night!!!

Here is a little funny!----On our way back to Battle Ground we got a little lost in Portland! My daughter was introduced to a couple illegal driving maneuvers! But hey! I got us back to I-5 and back to Battle Ground in time for pizza and bon fire!! LOL!!

Next time we have to carpool!'
thumbsup.gif
'

I'm sorry I missed you LOoraine! I would have loved to meet you!

Frogchickrincess - that wasn't me behind you, I had to miss the auction, which I was sorry about. I really was worried about the long drive home though. I hatched four runner ducklings at home -- FINALLY after I was sure they were about four days late and not going to make it. It's good I did miss the auction cuz I'm sure I couldn't have resisted. Wasn't sure how to find everyone, but glad I found Jen because I got a BEAUtiful Silkie roo from her and tons of good information.

T Hi, it would have been good to hear how your Runner search is going (weren't there a few babies at the show?) -- maybe not black. I'm not really wanting to keep my two black chicks, but because I only hatched four, I really want to see how they turn out so I have an idea of what to expect next time. But if you STILL don't have runners in several weeks, you'll have to take a look at mine.

Pattee - Congrats on the chicks - those muffs are adorable!

discovered that the bantm mutt i got... part silki part pheonix has gone broody on one egg... so i let it have 2 of its eggs and a golf ball (i dont really eat its eggs, so small for over easy...)
so now i have 2 broody hens
i added a few more eggs today from the other girls and now my light brahma has 11 eggs under it and no golf balls. hmm.. i wonder what day i should consider this? friday is when it went broody and i had golfballs with a few eggs under it... and kept adding eggs till today........ so count 21 days from now?

What a beautiful day!!! We finished building a new duck run, and bought a new duck house to go in it. After my broody muscovy hen has her ducklings, they will be moving out of one of the coops into their new place. We need the coop for the chicks!

Glad you all had fun at the show! I went to the one in Monroe last month and it was great fun. We'll have to plan better and maybe hit them both next year.

BTW, LOVED the paintings that were posted earlier! They were really well done.

Oh, and did I mention I'm setting more eggs? I put in 7 golden cuckoo maran, 6 BC/Golden Cuckoo Maran mixes, 6 LF blue cochin and 6 mottled/blue bantam cochin on Saturday morning. I won an auction here for 12 pencil laced rock bantam eggs and was sad they didn't make it here by Saturday, but they will go in hopefully tomorrow night if they arrive in the morning.

Have a great week everyone!!!

Quote:
L0rraine: No it is was not good that you missed the auction at all, because umm I Kinda got carried away with the ducklings
hide.gif
But very well worth my efforts, sorry about your hatch. I am sooo tempted to get some more ducklings from Holderreads, but right now I have my hands full and my pockbook empty! I need to SAVE SAVE all my pennies!

Toni : Yes we could have all talked the night away very easily to say the least. Sorry you got lost
hmm.png
, But you did have a Great Adventure!
thumbsup.gif
Oh and we went to the hatchery today WOW Big FISH
droolin.gif

Toni: My long Lost twin, I am soo Happy I found you and everyone else as well!
celebrate.gif

Ohhhh we are having sooo much fun with the ducklings, My camera Died yesterday! So I am currently charging my Camera will post pics soon. , my daughters so Loved your Daughter, they thought she was soooo sweet and they asked if she would be joing the 4-h group as well?
wink.png

umm about carpooling, Toni I think me and you could into some TROUBLE!
big_smile.png
LOL, But yes we have to carpool. Well Time for me to go & Play with the Ducklings.

Jen- It was so nice to meet you. Thank you so much for all the info. Your son is soo cute! And so very Well manered and Behaved for a boy! Kudos for you. I look forward to joing the group with my girls they are excited and said that it would have been more fun if they would have shown so here we go, time to save all my PENNIES!
hide.gif

Ohhh and One more thing girls that were at the show watching me hide as I spent money.......umm yeah the Hubby is now enjoying the ducklings and chicks. I promise Proof Via pics of him and the Birds
tongue.png

Quote:
OMG - I don't know how you all do it! And what do you do with all those chicks? I felt like I was over my head with 14 duck eggs under broody(s) and even though only four hatched, I still feel stressed. Though after the Stevenson show I really want to get serious about some nice enclosures for multiple breeds. We've got one great chicken coop and a good sized run and I'm working on building a substantial duck house with nest boxes, but how does one REALLY DIVERSIFY??? AND house everyone?

Wow my chickens will be SPOILED this summer.
big_smile.png

I just finished up on planting the following all over our free range pasture. Also, there's already plenty berry bushes, new greens, grasses, and PLENTY of bugs and other seeds around. . .

Quinoa
Wheat
Oats
Amaranth
Flax
Sunflowers
Millet

The Quinoa is the most interesting one - As it is native to the Araucana's origin country, and according to other breeders will help the blue in their eggs. Also of course the Amaranth and it will be SO beautiful once full grown, as well as the Flax flowers. . . Nothing like the blue of a flax!!

And of course, the chickens will be given plenty of garden greens, fruits, and any excess corn, squash, melons, etc. And will always be given excess apples, plums, etc at the end of summer. Man, . . . Last year our hens were little'uns and were on a sugar high from free ranging under an apple tree.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom