Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I don't know if you would want to use as a broody box...but someone posted and this is what I use....Covered cat litter boxes. I took the little flappy door thing off and there is a filter in the top - I took that out to let air come in and out better. They were lilke $10...you may even find one for nothing at a yard sale. Even my big-butted BRs can get in them. They love them, they were cheap and easy.

I have one of those in the newer coop and I've got at least 5 layers using it. Sometimes, 2 or 3 get in there at once. It's nice and roomy. Most of them still use the regular nests, but this is a good one for my cochins and BCM
smile.png

I am cheap and go for the easy...LOL...Ours is a re-fabbed hen house and I have 12 BRs. I have up to 6 laying right now and I have 2 of these litter boxes for them. I am figuring I will have to buy one more....infact should buy it today. No one in my family is very carpentry smart ....soo pre-made is best for us and I didn't want to spend 100s on nesting boxes. Is a bit hoaky, but it works.
wink.png

OK, picture time!

Here's our new little goat family. All 4 are girls. The two tinier babies are not related to the momma goat we got. Mama is on the right, her daughter is the larger greyish one in back, and then our caramel one and the tiniest is the little black one in the middle:
22465_9-28_005.jpg

The two littlest one's who like to snuggle together!
22465_9-28_014.jpg

Momma and her daughter:
22465_9-28_023.jpg

Checking out their new outdoor run:
22465_9-28_026.jpg

The new goat mini-barn!
22465_9-28_027.jpg

Playtime!
22465_9-28_019.jpg

Action shot:
22465_9-28_018.jpg

DH making friends with Mama. The goats are his babies while the birds are mine!
22465_09-29_001.jpg

Than these are our Orp chicks that Robin/chickielady brought up for me. I have 3 Lavender, 3 Black and 1 Blue.
I am pretty sure one of the Lav's is a roo, not sure on the blacks yet. I am hopeful that the blue is a pullet, her comb is the smallest of them all.

Here's the Lav Roo boy looking at you! He seems to love the camera!
22465_09-29_003.jpg

Here he is again looking to the left:
22465_09-29_004.jpg

And here he is hogging the camera again!
22465_09-29_005.jpg

Here's a black....look at the tree trunk size legs! I'm really hoping they are not all roo's! I already have 2 older Lav roos, plus the new camera hog....I would soooo love for all the blacks to be hens!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

22465_09-29_006.jpg

And these are the Lav Ameraucana Robin also brought up for me. These birds are so skittish! As soon as they see you they just pig pile in the corner. Hard to get decent shots of them. Have no idea yet on the sex of these.....harder to tell with the Pea Comb!

22465_09-29_008.jpg

22465_09-29_011.jpg

The new Stage 2 Brooder Box (also could be used as Breeder Pens for a pair on each side) I built for them:
22465_09-29_019.jpg

And last, our new Chocolate Muscovy drakes along with Mrs. Duck!
22465_09-21_047.jpg

22465_09-21_052.jpg

22465_09-21_049.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Quote:
use a cat litter box with lid.. they work great for quick nest fix and CL is almost always got one or two for free.. with bleach its good as new.

Hi! I'm up in east Ferndale, WA with 7 hens and 1 rooster... my chickens are all about 4 months and my Red Star, Lulu, layed our first egg today!!! I am such a proud mama!

68733_0929101119-00.jpg

Would someone please explain, to me, the facination that chickens have with styrofoam? I had to buy 1 small piece to finish winterizing their house. DH layed it in the grass outside the house - to be installed later. Well, when the girls were let out....they ate a bunch of it. I put it up...they flew up to it...I put it up higher...they are eyeballing it wondering how to get to it. I truly cannot imagine styrofoam having flavor.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Mine are horrible with those little plastic white stakes you get when you buy potted plants, and they tell you what plant you bought. . . Ugh. . . See one lying around, and it's got huge bite marks in it in no time flat. Seriously, that could cut up one's insides.
hmm.png

sigh... chainsaws are expensive! anyone have a old chainsaw they want to sell? just needs a decent motor and I can take care of the rest.. my electric saw is waaaay to small and wimpy. Need to cut up all the wood in my yard
sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom