Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Lydia and I live in Seattle (technically Tukwila). I currently have two golden laced wyandottes, one araucana, and one white fuzzy footed (maybe) bantam- all pullets that we got as pets and for eggs. I got them all about two weeks ago at the Grange Co-op in Issaquah. This is my first year raising chickens as my husband and I just bought our first home in April of this year. I would like to have some cayuga duck pullets too but I think it may be too much to have them all at once. I am waiting on a couple of more chicks I tried to order from a local feed store but I'm not sure they're going to arrive at all so I may order some chicks from Ideal once there is more inventory available through their website. Once I have my brood all together I hope to eventually show some of my chickens at the county and state fairs and get my daughters (ages 10 and 13) involved too since they each have a chick to care for.

Right now my husband is constructing a LARGE chicken coop in the backyard- it's about 4' x 8' x 6' and will be super roomy for all the chickens that will eventually be living in it with a run at least as large as the coop for their daytime space when they aren't able to roam free in the yard.

Along with our chicks, we also have two dachshunds, three tabby cats, and one guinea pig. Next year, I hope to add a couple of pygmy goats for milk and cheese and start beekeeping as well. Our family is working on being more self-sufficient even though we live in the city.

I'm glad to have found such a great group of like minded people who have a ton of knowledge to share about keeping chickens and ducks, etc.

Lydia

Wow, so many people in WA! Hello! Is spring ever going to get here? I'm in Shelton on Harstine Island. Since it's rural here and many people have large land parcels, many people have chickens. I've only lived here for about five months now, so I'm getting to know more animal lovers.

My chicken web page is below. You can see the growing stages of my 5 1/2 week old chicks and the building of the coop and aviary. Anyone in the immediate area or on the Island, I'd love to talk. I want to know more about predator problems, etc. I'm too afraid to let the girls go free range with the big dogs next door, eagles, fox, coyotes, lynx, owls, weasels, etc.

I got so attached to these little creatures so quickly, I'd feel so horrible if anything happened to them, so my aviary might be overkill, but better safe than sorry. I'll enjoy reading further posts from other Washingtonians.

Lori

When I'm not playing farmer, I'm technically a Civil Engineer and I design public works projects. I have made a career of fixing and upgrading roads in Tukwila. So, I know the area very well!

We're sometimes giddy and we call it Tuwkwild with a "d" because I've stumbled upon racoons, possums and sewer rats on many occassions!

Greyfields-
There's a man three houses south of us that has about 40 chickens in his very tiny yard. They run all over the yard and the littler ones in the street. Then another house north of us that has two goats, a sheep, and a large rabbit who sits in their driveway all day. Then north of that house is a 25 acre horse farm with a Jersey calf that grazes outside the fence each day. My male dachshund is in love with her so when we go for walks he has to stop by and say hello and lick her on the nose. I believe the horse farm is technically Seattle- one of two horse farms left in Seattle- but it's nice to be in the city and surrounded by great neighborhoods and what feels like rural area. I love playing farmer!
I wasn't sure about this area at first but it is a million times better than living in Ballard which is where we had been living since we moved to Seattle in August of 2005. Go figure!

Lydia

Last edited:
Lori

I am loving that mystery chick ! You mentioned a friend named Glee does she happen to paddle a kayak around the sound with a group of paddlers? If so we know her. It sounds like your having fun with your birds and your new home in the country. Here is a link to my blog to see my Ameraucana chicks at 3 days old.

http://misshelaineous.blogspot.com

Helaine in Olalla, WA

Last edited:
Hello Washingtonians, I'm West of Spokane, with Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, Light and Dark Brahamas, Ameraucanas, Cornish x, Lavender and Pearl Guineas, Dog, Cat, Horse, Hubby, Kids etc. etc. ...
wink.png

Herbandteas,
Yes, we've collected quite a variety over the past couple years. Trying some new breeds of chickens this year, for egg production and show at local fairs. We also sell eggs, and some chicks. Ameraucanas are for fun. Guineas are to keep the bugs down. It's a hobby, also been a family tradition for a few generations...keeping chickens. And is lots of fun!

Hi all you Washingtonian Chicken lovers;

I see we have a few new Kitsap County members.
Helaine, I really like your blog. The pictures of your new babies are very cute. Also, my husband and I are getting kayaks soon and are planning on paddling out in the sound as soon as we can. And I love knitting and those baby outfits that you knit are just wonderful. I live in Port Orchard but on the other side of the tracks (Hwy 16) almost on the county line between Kitsap, Pierce and Mason counties. We have 5 acres, 40 chickens, 4 dogs, 5 cats and one baby crow that I rescued last week when it fell out of its nest at the top of one of our large fir trees. He is quite vocal and eats from my hand. But as soon as he is ready to fly - out he goes to his parents that continue to fly around me whenever I take him outside to practice his wing exercises.
Lori - Glad you joined us. I have a large pen with 10 foot sides and netting over the top to keep out eagles and hawks. I have electric wire all around the perimeter about 6 inches from the ground and I make sure and lock all the chickens in each night when I come home from work. My dogs like the chickens and will let them come up and sit right on top of them. I better get a photo of this or no one will believe me. I have had some trouble with raccoons and coyotes, but as long as the dogs are out at night they stay away.
Glad to see so many chicken lovers are getting on this site - It is really fun and I have met many really nice people through it.
Featherfoot (Moureen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom