Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guy I have a question, what is the main reason people get silkies? Other then they are wonderful brooders? I have seen lately they are very popular in my area and was wondering if I was missing out on somin LOL.. From what I read they arent the greatest layer so I was just wondering... Thanks
smile.png

I got mine because I wanted some broodies. And the roosters are suppose to be pretty good temperment wise. And they are unique in that they have black skin and extra toes. And they can't fly very well.

Thanks for responding... I am thinking about getting 2 Splash to use as brooders to hopefully hatch my own chicks... I know nothing about silkies so I was trying to find out a little about them first. TY

Thanks for responding... I am thinking about getting 2 Splash to use as brooders to hopefully hatch my own chicks... I know nothing about silkies so I was trying to find out a little about them first. TY
Well the gal that answered your question is the same gal that I got my beautiful silkies from. They are trying to get a little spider that is on the wall.

Eating "bon bons" and watching animal planet.
lau.gif

Yeah, yeah... I know. Sad. Trying to find some humor in all this.
hmm.png
She's gotten pretty good at chirping when she wants me to bring her water dish to her. That's helped prevent spills.
Well I know it's a sad situation but this photo is a little funny. Poor baby. You certainly are doing your best to take care of her. I hope for both of your sakes she recovers soon from whatever it is that's ailing her!

My gosh - so much going on in this thread - I'm barely keeping up. It's been busy around here. DH and I decided we were tired of the mud pit that has become our yard in the past few years. Lack of sunshine because of the tall firs, an active Golden Retriever, and then of course, chickens have all taken their toll on the yard. We had a landscaper who has worked for other members of our family come out to take a look and we're going with paving stone paths, gravelly areas, and then a large paver stone patio in the largest portion of the yard. Whatever area that is left we'll try to plant with various ground cover.

Sooo.... since I heard that my landscaper is also a fence guy, I talked to him about building a more permanent and effective solution to the wild dogs that live immediately behind us. We've had a wire and t-post fence that has been perfectly functional for years, but with that 5 year old girl and wild dogs jumping on it and grabbing it repeatedly over the past few months it has been seriously compromised. Last week the pit bull/dalmation was lunging at the fence so hard trying to fight my Golden Retriever that it nearly bent the fence to the point where it could NEARLY jump over it. I was trying to hold the fence up while I screamed at the neighbors to come get their wild dogs, (the Doberman and Lab had joined in by that time too) and while I was grabbing the fence, the pitbull bit me once on the hand and in the bend of my arm. Finally the guy came out to retrieve the dogs and we had a serious talk as I stood with blood dripping from my wounds.

No, I did not call animal control. (I have illegal chickens remember.) I won't go into the entire conversation but I did emphasize that he and all of his room mates who also have dogs should fence THEIR side of the property since they have compromised mine. This past week they have been making a much more concerted effort to keep their dogs contained either in the house or on leash because I believe they realize the gravity of the situation for now. However, I am not counting on them continuing their current efforts. I think they're flakes.

So it looks like I might be getting a nice, strong, tall 6 foot wooden fence for my birthday, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Christmas, Valentine's Day etc. I'll be laying a wired apron down before it's covered with gravel at the base, and also STRONGLY suggesting that they build a fence at the base of the rockery that separates our yards to keep their dogs the H*** off of my good fence. Because the next time I will hide my chickens and call animal control.

But ahhh... it may be possible that I can have peace and privacy and safety for my animals again. My poor girls haven't been able to free range in MONTHS.
Tonight I talk to DH and either get him to agree or I will freakin' pay for it with my secret stash of cash. (It's really not so secret.)

I am dreaming of a private sanctuary in my own yard where there is no fence fighting, no screaming, no bloodshed... Maybe soon...

Are the little nubbins on my RIR's ankle spurs? If they are, can hens get these? From a quick peek at my EE, it looks like she's getting them, too. They are both 6 weeks old.

If those two turn out to be roos, and my light brahma doesn't recover, I may be out-a chicken owning for a while.
hit.gif

Well - the good news - the sun came out today. I desperately needed something good to happen.

Are the little nubbins on my RIR's ankle spurs? If they are, can hens get these? From a quick peek at my EE, it looks like she's getting them, too. They are both 6 weeks old.

If those two turn out to be roos, and my light brahma doesn't recover, I may be out-a chicken owning for a while.
hit.gif

Well - the good news - the sun came out today. I desperately needed something good to happen.

Take a deap breath.....Yes pullets and hens have the little spir bumps too!

Notice the nice, slender toes - that chicken is born to be a surgeon or maybe safe cracker. Let me know which when she/hegrows up

Quote: Yes, I agree it's better to buy locally. Unfortunately I can't always find what I need locally (I think you're having the same problem) so I order on line and the gas I save from running around more then makes up for the shipping. Note: cacklehatchery ships this stuff free. (nothings really free, it's built into the price)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom