Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.

So exciting! The little one has a good pair of lungs, too. It's peeping is LOUD!

This egg is one of Tamara's blue laced red Wyandottes. I hope the next one is a silkie!

Jennifer
celebrate.gif

Speaking of garlic, Columbus Day is coming.
This is when we all plant garlic.
here is how it goes:
Clove the heads & only plant the biggest cloves.
Put in a trench @3" deep, root part down, about 4-5" apart, and lightly cover with good compost.
Then water...
Now the fun part: I use straw and or straw/clipping mulch, and add about 2-3" of this over the entire row.
In super heavy rainy months, I cover the whole row with plastic, by way of hoops made of 2 foot cuts of fence wire.
Then cover the wire with plastic & staple down (in these long boxes) or cover with soil to hold the plastic down.
Now leave it be until spring.
All winter the cloves will be forming roots, and the tops will burst through the mulch when it is warm.
If the soil gets too dry under the plastic (insert finger to test) then you can undo a section of the plastic & water.

old.gif

I've got pages of posts to go back and read. I'll get to it later. (Reminder to self: 8646)

This is what I've been working on this morning while I was on a long call with the Autism Center. These are for my gift boxes of eggs for the neighbors. I'll attach the tag with a pretty bow. I'm hoping for 3 eggs today so the first box can go out to one of the neighbors this evening. I'm hoping to get enough eggs to deliver a box each week to the neighbors that surround my house.

My goofy chicken hat came this morning. It is so cute! I love it.

Love your design. You have VERY lucky neighbors! Maybe I should move. hehe

Speaking of garlic, Columbus Day is coming.
This is when we all plant garlic.
here is how it goes:
Clove the heads & only plant the biggest cloves.
Put in a trench @3" deep, root part down, about 4-5" apart, and lightly cover with good compost.
Then water...
Now the fun part: I use straw and or straw/clipping mulch, and add about 2-3" of this over the entire row.
In super heavy rainy months, I cover the whole row with plastic, by way of hoops made of 2 foot cuts of fence wire.
Then cover the wire with plastic & staple down (in these long boxes) or cover with soil to hold the plastic down.
Now leave it be until spring.
All winter the cloves will be forming roots, and the tops will burst through the mulch when it is warm.
If the soil gets too dry under the plastic (insert finger to test) then you can undo a section of the plastic & water.

old.gif

I had a nice little harvest this summer of my first ever home grown garlic. It's delicious! I'm saving a bunch to plant again, and I was bad and bought 5 more varieties. Oops! LOL Thankfully I put in a new 4X8 raised bed to hold it all. If anyone is still on the fence about whether to plant it, I can tell you that garlic is easy to grow, and very rewarding.

Jennifer

I have to go pick up oldest DD in about an hour, when I get back I am making a double batch of zuccini bread/muffins........we have them coming out of our ears! Than tomorrow I am making a couple of quiches.

Have you ever tried spinach & zucchini quiche? I was short on spinach one time and added some sliced zucchini to make up for it. It was great! Now I do it that way all the time. I raised yellow zucchini, which I feel have a more tender skin, and it adds a buttery flavor to the spinach, imho.

Hi SadieSue! Where abouts in Tacoma are ya?? We just moved back here from Iowa and are over by 15th and Trafton. Had no idea there were big yards so close to downtown, but we have no complaints!
cool.png

Just getting ready for my first flock of gals, I would like to have a buff silkie, those birds are just too precious! Yours are such cuties! Maybe there should be a south sounders meeting
woot.gif

I'm in University Place, just between Tacoma and Lakewood. Thank you, that buff silkie is a little sweetie. She's still pretty shy and very demure. All of my silkies were hatched from Catdance eggs. She has some beautiful birds.

I think there should be another south sounders meeting one of these days. We had one last year but only a few were able to be there. We'll try again one of these days!

CL... thank you for the recipes and instructions for planting garlic. I tried a long time ago but had not clue about doing it right.

Another Quilt....
I saw the beautiful quilts from a few days ago, I especially like the batik wedding quilt! Can't get enough of the batiks!
Here's one I did with my Mom a couple of years ago. It's done with the "quilt as you go" method someone else mentioned. You can tell by looking at the back, each large square and the borders were done as stand-alone units, all the way through the quilting stage. Then they were sewn together and the binding was done. It's a great way to manage a large quilt on a home sewing machine. I can't justify the cost of paying someone else to do the quilting on every quilt so it works well for me.

The back.....

Each block is quilted differently. I liked the hen -- can you see I quilted eggs into the basket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom