Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all you Wet Washingtonians out there....
I live in Edgewood, Wa just north of Puyallup.
I was also hoping you all could share my new facebook page for rooster adoption I set up.. I have alot of city friends that ended up with beautiful (and some rare ) roosters that the city law folks won't let them keep...
It's called Western Washington Rooster Exchange.

http://www.facebook.com/WesternWashingtonRoosterExchange

Thanks!
Naomi

That's great, thanks!

Hello Neighbors!

My wife and I live in Tracyton, in Kitsap County. We got our birds back in June and over the past few months we built the coop and basic run. We are enclosing the run at the moment so that we can leave the birds unattended while outside. We have chickens for eggs and turkeys for meat. Before moving to Kitsap County 7 1/2 years ago, we had raised chickens and turkeys for many years back in New Hampshire where we raised three children.

We now have a nice mix of chicken breeds for egg color. We have turkeys for this year's holidays and two heritage breeds that we would like to breed for an ongoing poult supply. We never bred our birds before and are looking forward to it.

John

Hey all. Not sure if this is the best place for the post but, I am a high school science teacher. I have 2 students who are doing an Independent Study class with me and they are looking to see if they can raise chickens from eggs.

My usual science supplies supplier wants an arm and a leg for a dozen viable eggs and they will want even more to ship them from the east coast.

I am looking for probably a dozen viable/fertilized eggs. Doesn't matter what breed they are.

Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter names the chickens something like Fireclaw and Brambleclaw, I name them names like Tilly and Rupert and then we argue forever about what their names are ( I usually win). You can try that. I love the coma chick sleeping on its head with its bottom in the dish. Classic!
I typically win the Name Wars when it's just mom and me. However, I lost the war for the rooster.
tongue.gif

Last edited:
Congratulations, itsren! With all of this excitement over adorable babies, I kind of want my own (chicken) babies again. We're thinking that if we have a broody in the next few years, we'll try to hatch a few. Lyle's bound to produce darling offspring!

Thanks Jessica for passing the word along. Thank you to everyone for helping us learn through this hatching process. What an emotional roller coaster!

Well, I'm proud to announce that Chicken Rustler's Salmon Faverolles "Fudge" is a Papa! We have FOUR energetic little chicks trying to establish a mini pecking order. 2 pipped last night. All 4 hatched today. I was not here to witness the hatching, and my husband saved the day for the last one to hatch. Two other chicks managed to push a broken shell over the last to hatch and the pipped and partially zipped egg was trapped. DH steamed up the bathroom, took the incubator in, removed the two energetic little chicks and their left-over egg shells that were trapping the last one to hatch, allowing "Chirpy" to finally get zipped out after 18 hours since s/he first pipped.

CR... do the descriptions below give you any idea of who the mothers may be?

EGG "A" - First to pip, first to hatch... the olive egg: black chick with 5 toes on each foot. No visible feathers on the legs yet. The kids named him/her "Blackie."

EGG "D" - Last to pip, second to hatch... the brown heavily speckled egg: dark mottled chick, white chest, white spot on top of his head, white wing tips, feathered legs, 4 toes. The kids named him/her "Fuzzy."

EGG "E" - Third to pip, third to hatch... white egg: yellow chick, 5 toes with lots of feathers on feet. The kids named him/her "Softie."

EGG "C" - Pipped at the same time as the first, last to hatch about 18 hours later. Needed to have extra eggshells that got pushed on top of his/her egg removed in an emergency extra eggshell procedure in a hot, steamy bathroom... brown, less-mottled egg: dark mottled chick, white chest, white spot on top of head, white wing tips, feathered legs, 4 toes, looks very similar to "Fuzzy" except has a much more distinct comb. The kids named him/her "Chirpie" because s/he is LOUD. Came out last and let the world know all about it.

After "Chirpie" is finished drying, it is going to be very difficult to distinguish him/her from "Fuzzy.

The remaining olive egg"B" is still in the incubator. We don't expect it to be viable because it never developed an air pocket.

Below... "Fuzzy" - 2nd to hatch must be missing his/her egg. Gonna make it difficult to eat out of that dish. "Softie," the yellow chick, sacked out under the heat lamp.

My kids named the chicks before I got home from Vancouver.
sad.png
I wanted one to be named "Chocolate Fudge" and another to be named "Vanilla Fudge". I'll have to see if I can convince the kids to rename them.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME...... I was following all your post and I was thinking.. I could never be patient enough to deal with all the worry :) But when I saw your Pics.. I had a renewed hope that maybe someday Ill try hatching some myself :)
Hi all you Wet Washingtonians out there....
I live in Edgewood, Wa just north of Puyallup.
I was also hoping you all could share my new facebook page for rooster adoption I set up.. I have alot of city friends that ended up with beautiful (and some rare ) roosters that the city law folks won't let them keep...
It's called Western Washington Rooster Exchange.

http://www.facebook.com/WesternWashingtonRoosterExchange

Thanks!
Naomi

I think this is a wonderful Idea.... I give you props for putting this together!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

I have a QUESTION?????????????????? Thank You :)

I have made the decision to take several of my hens and a Roo to the auction in Enumclaw
hit.gif
.... I was wondering how does the process work..? I tried to find info online but I must be daft because I couldn't locate any info other than address and phone number? Do I just take the Birds up to the auction the day of the sale or can I take them before??? Ive been up there a few times just to look but never to sell. Thanks for the help guys.

I'm in the Portland/Vancouver area and am relatively new to raising poultry. A friend had me chicken-sit for a few months and got me hooked. :)

So far we have Barred Plymouth Rock chickens, a few coturnix quail, and 4 midget white turkey poults. I have also been researching Muscovy ducks and would really like to get some of those.

We raise and show rabbits--satin, mini satin and Himalayan.

Shiny

Hi everyone,
I have a couple questions after I visited the state fair in puyallup this year.... I saw a couple chickens that I wish I could have stuffed in my purse, left a check and took home with me
big_smile.png

Does anyone know the following owners of these?
Black bantam Cochin pullet (Rob Smith)
Huge buff Cochin hen (Paige Preece)
A Mille fluer Cochin pair (I forgot the name on them)
I would love to know who bred those and if they sell eggs/chicks or would be willing to sell the actual chicken when they ate ready to change projects...
They were gorgeous :)
Rob Smith is my son and Paige is in my 4H club. Both birds came originally from Sheryl Butler's eggs. (She also breed mille fleur d'uccles.) If you want to contact me, I can give you her information. I can ask the kids if they want to part with the birds since we aren't breeding cochins, but I think they're pretty attached to them. I think they do have 4 show quality silkies they might sell with fairs over for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom