wasnt sure where to vent so here it is

a friend raised a pig for me..wasnt a cute guy...I named him sidepork.....mmm side pork.....lol well ya naming them makes it hard but even the ones i have that dont have real names still will be hard. Ya i went in the house and he did it. Although even tho im sure he did it anyways, i told him dont let the girls see....maybe the mean roo just to prove a point to him but i didnt want the girls to witness....lol ya im silly....lol but i caught the DH being nosy and teasing me about joining an online group and commenting run across me talking about him and he was a little miffed about the DH....he didnt know what it meant and thought the D and H stood for something else...lol well he didnt say much when i explained it to him and im still not so sure if he believes me. I guess at times it could mean that...lol.

I just got rid of my nice-turned-nasty roo Sunday. Put him in brine that night, he was a bigun! Told the wife we should turn it a couple of times to make sure it all gets in the brine. So later that day I'm in the frig and she says "think maybe you should turn Rosco". I said sure, but can we now stop calling the food by it's name! I loved that rooster for what he was, a good protector, beautiful bird, and I sure loved to hear him crow. He turned mean and started attacking the family. I noticed my duaghter wouldn't play in the backyard anymore. That's when I realized I can't have a rooster calling the shots and taking the fun out of it for the family. Peace has been restored. The evil doer has been brined, smoked and ready for the bbq sauce. Now the little chicks can be let out without being chased and the older hens should grow the feathers back soon and my daughter can play without fear of an attack. My only regret is it took 2 swings from the axe. My first chicken, what can I say?

Sigh, it's a fact of owning chickens. My DH is too squeamish to do the deed so I end up offing them most of the time. I think he raises extreme bantams because they are to small to be worth eating so it gives me less motivation to off the extra roos. We do eat my extra LF, far more often than the DH realizes. It's easier to do them when he's not home and say I sent them off to a freind who needed another bird. Once it's been in the freezer he has no clue.
wink.png

As I said, we do name the roosters sometimes, but I will not name any of my layers. We had a steer once. His name was Butch. My kids named him (they were 9, 6, and 3 at the time) Oldest son says, "Why not? We're going to butcher him anyway." That animal thought he was a horse. When we took the horses out, he broke through every type of fence we had him in and would run out the driveway to follow us, bellering all the way. Wouldn't have been so bad if he'd have run in FRONT of us down the road. At least then it would have looked like we were herding him somewhere. We sure caused alot of double-takes from people driving by, though, when they saw us riding horse with a holstein steer following along behind. After we had him processed, my aunt asked me how I could bring myself to eat Butch. I told her, "When I think of all the fence I had to fix, he tastes better and better!"

Back
Top Bottom