wasp sting.. need help with getting the swelling down!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by shadowpaints, Sep 26, 2011.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    ok so i got stung by a wasp around 10:30 this morning. yes i am allergic.. i took benedryl, my breathings fine, but the sting area ( fore arm area) is continuing to swell. now nearly all of my arm is swollen, almost to my elbow and starting into the palm of my hand. yes i have been icing it.. and now im gonna try baking soda any other suggestions..

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Meat tenderizer works if you get it on early--may be too late now--make a paste of it with water.

3. Chick Norris

Chick Norris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Chester County, PA
    Make sure the stinger and venom sack have been removed. Use some topical benadryl (or similar) and a little compression(ace bandage type) wouldn't hurt either. If it continues to worsen, get to a doctor for more aggressive treatment.

4. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    With the amount of swelling you describe I think you should see a dr.

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Tobacco , wet it and put it on the sting. But if it is that swollen, I would go to the DR

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Make a paste and put it on your sting. I paste a sting up 2 or 3 times and let it dry. I've been stung 4 times this passed summer and this is the only thing that makes the sting and swelling leave quicker on me.

7. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    If you can get to a store that sells homeopathic stuff, arnica and apis will help.
    Some benadryl tablets or other antihistamine would prob be a good idea

8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Put toothpaste on the sting it works best from what i heard (only got stung once when i was a wee little tot lol )

9. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    ok whew the swelling has stopped.. now it itches like CRAZY lol

10. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Good to hear it stopped. My mother-in-law had swelling (sounds similar to yours) from wasp sting. In ER she got a benadryl pill and a bill for $600.00, so now we keep some on hand.

Love the horse in your avatar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by