1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wasps and Yellow Jackets???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mander9888, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mander9888

Mander9888 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I am new to owning chickens and now that the weather has changed so much I am having lots of wasps and yellow jackets. I know yellow jackets live in the ground, but I am not sure what draws them to make a nest. The wasps keep trying to start nests and I spray them down with a water hose. I am allergic to both of the darn things, and I don't know what I can do to keep them away. Is there any type of spray or granules I can use to keep them away that is safe for the chickens? I mean I know none of it really will be, but I can't risk being stung, but DO NOT want to hurt the chickens. Are their any options you may have used that work??

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Here's an excerpt from Arbico Organics, a company that specializes in pest control:
    Arbico: yellow jackets, you may wish to apply boric acid in dry form at night where they are known to be entering. It will take a while, but the boric acid will be carried into the nest and do its work. Do not close up the entrance until you have seen no activity for several days.

Here's the link I got it from: http://www.arbico-organics.com/category/pest-solver-guide-wasps-yellow-jackets

Good
    luck!​

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can spray "Pam" on paper wasps and nests.

4. itallstartedwithhamburgs

itallstartedwithhamburgs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Northeastern NC
    90 percent rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle will kill them within seconds. We keep a bottle on our porch.

5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:That is an awesome tip! I will have to keep some handy too! Thank you [​IMG]

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:This is what I do and it works.

7. Mander9888

Mander9888 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Thank you all for the suggestions. With the rubbing alcohol, do I have to get close enough to the wasp to spray it or can I spray the corners of the coop and them not make a nest??

8. bobishere

bobishere New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    just get a cheep squirt gun from the toy section probably in the same drug store that you got the IPA, i got a 3 pack last time. got bug guns on every porch-n-patio now

9. JeanR

JeanR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    Yellow jackets in the ground: if you find the hole, AT NIGHT, with flashlight, pour boiling water down the hole--at least 3 gallons. You may hear the humming, but they will not come out. Usually they are never seen again--from that hole.
    For yellow jackets that make paper nests or flat nests for larvae under eaves of houses, spray (or the alchohol mentioned earlier) 1 T of Mint oil (as in cooking flavouring) in 1 qt water, in a spray bottle. Again at night, soak the nest (paper nest or flat larvae nest, no harmful residue will drop (commercial Wasp/Bee sprays fall on grass and if chickens eat it--will kill them-BAD THING to use where access to spray fallout will be where chickens can forage!!!! ) Mint will kill and no harm to your chickens! Again, do it at night, for your protection (daytimes, most yellow jackets do not take kindly to messing with their nurseries and will GET YOU!) Most of the workers will be in the nest at night, the few remaining can be sprayed directly! Take care and good removal!.

10. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    I use dawn dish soap and water in a spray gun and spray them kills them pretty quick. It covers there air holes and suffocates them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by