Wasted Feed

Here is the catcher on the feeder. I like to use a stiff material so it retains shape. I suspect heavy denim would work fine, the sort they use for patio furniture and hammocks. I don't think my little Singer sewing machine could stitch through denim, though. It had no problem with the naugahyde. When it gets dirty, I just hose it off. It holds up real well to chicken feet and beaks. It gets heavy use.

Yes, I like to invent stuff. Since there is hardly any more research and development in large manufacturing companies, I've had to invent stuff I discover I have a need for. This idea could make me a bundle, I realize, but it stands little chance of ever being marketed due to today's corporate business model. Feel free to use it. It's free.

Thank you so much for sharing your invention, I am sure many of us are great full.

You gave me a brainstorm. I have one of the small chick feeders similar to the one on your picture. I attached an old Frisbee to the base of it. Seems to catch most of the spillage.

Here is the catcher on the feeder. I like to use a stiff material so it retains shape. I suspect heavy denim would work fine, the sort they use for patio furniture and hammocks. I don't think my little Singer sewing machine could stitch through denim, though. It had no problem with the naugahyde. When it gets dirty, I just hose it off. It holds up real well to chicken feet and beaks. It gets heavy use.

Yes, I like to invent stuff. Since there is hardly any more research and development in large manufacturing companies, I've had to invent stuff I discover I have a need for. This idea could make me a bundle, I realize, but it stands little chance of ever being marketed due to today's corporate business model. Feel free to use it. It's free.

This. Is just brilliant.

If you are currently using a trough style feeder, you can place a strip of welded or woven wire fencing over the top to prevent flicking and scratching....since I did that, no feed waste at all. I also placed my trough up on blocks to make it higher.

that is fantastic idea. i am going to see if i have any duck cloth or indoor/ outdoor material left over from when we made cushions for the outdoor patio chairs.
If not Joanns will have what I need. Be making these for the big chickens too.
deana

Beekissed - I wonder if that would work for the feeder like azy has....I have one similar...wonder if I could rig some wire on it?

Azy - thanks for the photos!

RonC - frisbee! Good idea
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom