Wasted food?! Help!

Idunno. I use pine shavings and leave the food they scatter in the brooder. They will scratch around looking in the shavings for the food. I guess it is rewarding their innate behavior. In any event, I just leave it there. I also leave the poo. I add more shavings on top. No smell. When I get ready for new chicks, I will clean out everything and start fresh.

Me, three. I use those long rectangular feeders with the spots for them to stick their heads in. And like Donrae, I elevate the feeder a bit by putting it on a chunk of concrete I poured just to use in the brooder. About 2" high. I have a round one that I use to put the waterer on as well, so the water doesn't spill.

I have found that my chickies smell if they get too crowded. Is that perhaps the case with you?

We've placed ours on an inverted tray that you would use for plants - it's not perfect, but it definitely helps. We've also used bricks in the past.

I may build one to put out for the big chickens. The chickens started using their waterer today, so I feel better about using automatic feeders.

Just wanted to show you our "no waste" feeder. Go to 3:39 and it will begin the "feeder" part of the video.
It works very well. No waste what so ever!
Very economical to build as well.
0.jpg

I built a chicken feeder that has absolutely no waste. We have 125 chicks that have been eating out of this for about 4 weeks. Our chicks are now 9 weeks old. The floor of our mobile coop is a wire mesh, so feed falling through was very wasteful. After watching videos on you tube, this is what I made and it is working our very well. NO food wasted at all. I did cut the 3" elbows to make them shorter. Enjoy the video!

Back
Top Bottom