Watching a Quail Chick Die

bloodbiter

Chirping
Mar 4, 2022
I have a little quail chick whos about 4 weeks old and it hasnt gotten any heavier than it was at 2 weeks. all my other quail chicks have grown (rapidly), but this little one is still very light.

her appetite has been normal, she drinks and jumps/flies well; she just hasnt been gaining any weight

this evening she suddenly stopped being lively and started huddling close to the ground and not really moving properly...kind of scooting/gliding around

i know she's weak and will probably die soon and it just really hurts because idk what i can do to help her and i feel kind of helpless as ive been watching her get farther and farther behind on catching up in terms of weight. it feels like im watching her die.

Im so sorry, I don't have much experience, or any at all with Quail, but I do hope that more members come along who do.
May I suggest you change your title to "Watching a quail chick die" and ask this be moved to the ER section? You might get more immediate help.

I have a little quail chick whos about 4 weeks old and it hasnt gotten any heavier than it was at 2 weeks. all my other quail chicks have grown (rapidly), but this little one is still very light.

her appetite has been normal, she drinks and jumps/flies well; she just hasnt been gaining any weight

this evening she suddenly stopped being lively and started huddling close to the ground and not really moving properly...kind of scooting/gliding around

i know she's weak and will probably die soon and it just really hurts because idk what i can do to help her and i feel kind of helpless as ive been watching her get farther and farther behind on catching up in terms of weight. it feels like im watching her die.
Have you been giving them any electrolytes in their water. For about the 1st 2.5 weeks I always mix in one packet of Sav a chick electrolytes to a gallon of water and then at 2 weeks if they are all looking good I gradually dilute it down until it is straight water. Unfortunately, sometimes there is one that just fails to thrive. I recently had one and I ended up having to cull it, it was just getting progressively worse.

Have you been giving them any electrolytes in their water. For about the 1st 2.5 weeks I always mix in one packet of Sav a chick electrolytes to a gallon of water and then at 2 weeks if they are all looking good I gradually dilute it down until it is straight water. Unfortunately, sometimes there is one that just fails to thrive. I recently had one and I ended up having to cull it, it was just getting progressively worse.
ive never heard of putting electrolytes in [healthy] chicks' water, although now i wish i did! no, i havent been doing that. all my other chicks seem normal though.

Im so sorry, I don't have much experience, or any at all with Quail, but I do hope that more members come along who do.
May I suggest you change your title to "Watching a quail chick die" and ask this be moved to the ER section? You might get more immediate help.
thanks for the advice!

I hate to say this, but since she was already stunted in growth, there is likely something wrong with her internally. Sometimes chicks just fail to thrive, and she's probably had a condition since hatch.

Personally, I would cull and end her suffering. :hugs
yeah, thats what i figured. im aware these things happen, so i usually dont name my quail until they are 8 weeks or so, but i named her on accident. this makes me super hesitant to cull, along with the fact she seems a little better this morning. if she gets any worse, though, i'll seriously consider. thanks for the advice!

yeah, thats what i figured. im aware these things happen, so i usually dont name my quail until they are 8 weeks or so, but i named her on accident. this makes me super hesitant to cull, along with the fact she seems a little better this morning. if she gets any worse, though, i'll seriously consider. thanks for the advice!
I'm so sorry. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom