Watching Hunger Hits Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

herfrds

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Montana
Rather interesting. It is on the Food Network right now.

Now I'm not saying this to start an arguement I am just wondering.
I looked at the family in Norfork Virginia. I see their front yard and I just wonder how big their back yard is. Why are they not tearing up their grass and growing a garden? Neighborhood regulations maybe? Tomato plants along the foundation. Zuchinni plants in there too. Bush green beans too.

When we were broke my garden kept us in fresh food.

I remember several years ago when potato farmers offered semi loads of potatos to the local food banks. They were turned down because the food banks do not accept fresh produce. The farmers just dumped them outside the food banks and called the local radio stations and local TV stations and told people that they were there for the taking. Tons of people showed up and took them. Nothing wrong with the potatos except they needed to be washed.

When we butcher a beef every 6 months we donate the beef we have left over from the previous butching to Meals On Wheels. every Thanksgiving I hit the store and buy around $300-$400 worth of groceries for them. I hit it right this year and got things on sale and filled 2 shopping carts with turkey's hams, stuffing and pies. Already planning next yeas donation.

DH says it is because people have been too far removed from the farms. That is his observation.

Was wondering about the single dad on there too. Same thing. Simple easy plants to grow.

I see canning jars in Goodwill and the Salvation Army stores. Yard sales and auctions too. Seeds are not that expensive. Save some and dry them for next year.

Keep in ind that the program was focusing on hungry children; some of whom are something like 5 years old. They, on their own, can not grow a garden or do anything other then to rely on adults to feed them. If there is even one hungry child in this country then it is a sin that is everyones responsibility.

Keep in ind that the program was focusing on hungry children; some of whom are something like 5 years old.  They, on their own, can not grow a garden or do anything other then to rely on adults to feed them.  If there is even one hungry child in this country then it is a sin that is everyones responsibility. 

X a million..
Kids cant go out and get an income.. kids need money(seeds/plants can get expensive!) and an adult to show them how to grow a garden...
And in inner cities, they usually have no yards to grow veggies...
And veggies are only one small part of the "food" they need.. what about meat and grains?
Plus growing gardens is only seasonal in a good portion of the States..
Its just not as simple as growing a garden.. its a real issue here..and too many people are in denial about it. (not saying you are Herfrds.. but many others are.)

Disclaimer--I have no idea about this show ya'all are talking about. No tv here.

That said, if my children were truely hungry, I would move heaven and earth to feed them. I would plant food, you bet. I would raise and slaughter my own animals, no matter where I lived. Rabbits are quiet and no one needs to know you have them. You can bet I would do without everything except gas to get to work. What I would NOT do is sit around like so many folks seem to do and wait for the government to step in and give me some money or provide my children with substandard food.

Disclaimer--I have no idea about this show ya'all are talking about. No tv here.

That said, if my children were truely hungry, I would move heaven and earth to feed them. I would plant food, you bet. I would raise and slaughter my own animals, no matter where I lived. Rabbits are quiet and no one needs to know you have them. You can bet I would do without everything except gas to get to work. What I would NOT do is sit around like so many folks seem to do and wait for the government to step in and give me some money or provide my children with substandard food.

thumbsup.gif

These responses are really unbelievable. They seem to just ignore the fact that we are talking about children....NOT ADULTS. I will send the 2.5 million hungry children that live in California to your house in Hemet and would you please teach all the five year olds how to kill rabbits and plant corn. If you cant handle all 2.5 million you can send the excess to your buddy in Oregon. The program was not talking about your children and what you would do but it is nice that you, at least, won't let your own children go hungry. As for the hungry kids that do not live with you..well... Let them eat cake...or maybe get them a gun and seeds.

Redhen I don't like the thought of kids going hungry. That is why I brought up the show.
There is a community garden in the city south of us and they have tried to shut it down, which is stupid.
Ranchers in my state have started a program in which they can donate a steer or a heifer or a cow or bull to have the meat go to help people who need it.
Another group of farmers have started a bushel dontation system where we can donate a bushel of wheat and they will grind it into flour and bag it up for donations.

What I was looking at was the family with the older kids. Yeah seed prices have gone up quite a bit. Knowing the family that runs our local greenhouse if a person went in and was down on their luck and asked for a few seeds I know they would not leave empty handed.

The only thing that bugs me about the food stamps is the ones who come in and buy the huge bottles of pop. Since I started my job I am really surprised at the number of people on food stamps.
I also see the people who use WIC.
I can tell they are really uncomfortable about using the WIC checks and food stamp cards. I try to be as friendly to them as possible.

These responses are really unbelievable. They seem to just ignore the fact that we are talking about children....NOT ADULTS. I will send the 2.5 million hungry children that live in California to your house in Hemet and would you please teach all the five year olds how to kill rabbits and plant corn. If you cant handle all 2.5 million you can send the excess to your buddy in Oregon. The program was not talking about your children and what you would do but it is nice that you, at least, won't let your own children go hungry. As for the hungry kids that do not live with you..well... Let them eat cake...or maybe get them a gun and seeds.

Exactly,.. i think people are missing that these are kids...
At least i hope that thats it,.. and not they dont really care if INNOCENT children in OUR country are going hungry... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom