Watching Hunger Hits Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know folks.... I think you need to walk a mile in some peoples shoes before you are so quick to judge. I remember when I made nothing and had to work all the time. I couldn't even afford mass transit sometimes. A few times I was lucky enough to have a car... sometimes I didn't. Also I worked full time and barely made enough for rent, etc. I usually didn't have time to spend 45 mins to a store, time spent shopping and then 45 mins back. What I would have done if I had a kid or two to pay for day care or tote with me and pay fare for... I don't know what I would have done. Lucky for me I was the only person broke and hungry and going without. Its easy to judge what you might do, but you are not in the situation of each person who is struggling. You don't know what individual, intillectual, educational or social resources they have, you don't know if they have transportation or time or a place for a garden. There are so many factors that contribute to these problems, its important to consider that the surface does not tell us everything.

Reading some of the comments on this post really is like pouring salt on the wound. You have no idea what people are going through and how they have ended up in the position they are. Life is going along pretty well and BAM. Husband leaves you and now your raising three kids by yourself. You're working a job, paying rent. Have any idea how much it costs of daycare and after school care for three kids on one income? Plus the insane gas prices to get to work? And jobs are just paying so well right now. Oh, and to have time to garden on top of that (which by the way I do and love, but boy it is a chore I don't have the time or energy for). Try to get that accomplished with a two year old with a two minute attention span is running around, keeping up with a house, a job, kids school work. Maybe if the day was 36 hours long and you didn't need to sleep you could do it all.

I just hope that before you point fingers and lay blame at the lazy, horrible people, you realize it takes one unexpected disaster in your life to put in you a place you never imagined. Divorce, job loss, health scare.. we are all subject to this. Have a little compassion.

Reading some of the comments on this post really is like pouring salt on the wound. You have no idea what people are going through and how they have ended up in the position they are. Life is going along pretty well and BAM. Husband leaves you and now your raising three kids by yourself. You're working a job, paying rent. Have any idea how much it costs of daycare and after school care for three kids on one income? Plus the insane gas prices to get to work? And jobs are just paying so well right now. Oh, and to have time to garden on top of that (which by the way I do and love, but boy it is a chore I don't have the time or energy for). Try to get that accomplished with a two year old with a two minute attention span is running around, keeping up with a house, a job, kids school work. Maybe if the day was 36 hours long and you didn't need to sleep you could do it all.

I just hope that before you point fingers and lay blame at the lazy, horrible people, you realize it takes one unexpected disaster in your life to put in you a place you never imagined. Divorce, job loss, health scare.. we are all subject to this. Have a little compassion.

Exactly right. Life turns on a dime and you never know how quickly you can fall off that high horse you ride until you hit the ground.

We have a 5 dollar store here where I live where you pay 5 bucks and get about 4 or 5 bags of food and usually all the bread you want once a week.  They say it is low income but the folks running it look the other way. I see people bring an elderly person in with them and they get a bunch of food and then split it or something like that.  They call it the food aid network or something.  There is also the Gleaners.

Ed, i wish they had something like that $5 store here around us.... i think many people would benefit from it.

We learn from our mistakes. Hardships seem grevious when they are happening but when you look back on them you learn something. Didn't Edison say "I've not failed I just found 10,000 ways that won't work"?

Living in your car for 3 months teaches you something.

Oh yeah, we do have a food bank right in my small town.. but like i said, you have to show income,..etc... so most people, even though they are needy, wont be able to use it...
What i was saying is i think that $5 store you mentioned, is a better idea! $5 for a several bags of groceries is a great idea! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom