Water and feed in the coop for ducks? Poll

Water and feed inside or out?

• Total voters

CayugaCrazy15

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Sheboygan Wisconsin
Hey guys!

I'm trying to decide whether or not to provide food and water in the coop or not. I have an idea how I would mitigate the mess and keep it dry in there. I'm considering the situation considering the seasons as well as I live in Wisconsin! I would much appreciate you input!

Hey guys!

I'm trying to decide whether or not to provide food and water in the coop or not. I have an idea how I would mitigate the mess and keep it dry in there. I'm considering the situation considering the seasons as well as I live in Wisconsin! I would much appreciate you input!
I don´t have feed in to the duck coop (we call it the duck house lol). They do have a pond in the run part though and their ¨house¨ isn´t blocked off from that, so water is always available for them at all times. Feed is given at certain times and they always come to the back door of the house for it...Spoiled rotten little things!

My situation is a little different as my ducks live in a barn at night, and have a totally separate run + free-ranging time during the day. I keep water both inside and outside. The food bowl goes where they go. There’s enough room for them in the barn that they can make the biggest disaster of their water and still have a dry and clean sleeping area. During the winter, my ducks spend a lot more time in the barn as they hate snow + predator danger is greatly increased. They’d be in trouble if they couldn’t have water!

Thanks for the replies! So far it seems there really isn't a right or wrong way to do it. It's basically circumstantial based on your coop set up, your yard/run size, climate, and predator situation.

Were planning on free ranging for the time being because we might be buying a new house in a few months and I'm not gonna build a duck run if were leaving soon. I'll try different set ups and see what works!

Back
Top Bottom