Cholesterol man

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2021
I have a chick that is 2 weeks old. It's crop is not fully emptying and only partially emptying for a few days. When I have checked it it looks like balloon filled with water. It is very squishy - I can't find a food in the crop. Crop is also extended. Thanks

I have a chick that is 2 weeks old. It's crop is not fully emptying and only partially emptying for a few days. When I have checked it it looks like balloon filled with water. It is very squishy - I can't find a food in the crop. Crop is also extended. Thanks
Can you post some photos?

Is the chick lethargic?

How are you brooding the chick - under a heat lamp, brooder plate, etc.?
When are you checking the crop?

I cannot upload pictures because it is not uploading.

My chick is not lethargic, it is active.

I am not using heat lamp or any other heat source as I was living in a warm climate.
I was doing a daily check up in morning when 2 days ago it had a problem.

I cannot upload pictures because it is not uploading.

My chick is not lethargic, it is active.

I am not using heat lamp or any other heat source as I was living in a warm climate.
I was doing a daily check up in morning when 2 days ago it had a problem.
Check the crop first thing in the morning before the chick has had anything to eat/drink (after a full night's sleep). The crop should be empty. If it's not emptying, then you would want to address it.

Check the crop first thing in the morning before the chick has had anything to eat/drink (after a full night's sleep). The crop should be empty. If it's not emptying, then you would want to address it.
Ya, today I have checked the crop but it is full.

So the chick had not had anything to eat/drink at all overnight right?

If she's not lethargic, then I would start by giving her a little coconut oil, then re-check the crop again in the morning to see if it's emptied.
I am not sure about it. As I kept it in living room, I don't know whether I screamed in a nightmare at that night or as my mother and father woke up and switch on the tv to wake up my littles friends. As my chicks are alert, they will wake up even in a little sound or movement and think this is morning and start to eat.

Back
Top Bottom