Water bottles -- AWESOME!

AimsChickies

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
SW Florida
After reading about it on here a few times I decided to pick up some water bottle when I was out shopping the other day (you know, the ones for bunnies, guinea pigs and the like). So far it has been a lifesaver! No more dirty quail water and they caught on super quick! Good thing since i MAYBE went a little overboard with the quail eggs. I love the little guys. Oh...BTW....i even got my button quail using them now! Its great! I love all of the ideas you all share. Thanks!

i cant wait to start collecting some sorta water bottle system for my quails to give them even more room in their pens
big_smile.png
Congrats on it working out so well for ya! they deff are a great idea!
big_smile.png

I just attached the water bottle with a tilt and let it drip. Birds (all kinds) are attracted to dripping water. After a few days, I tilt it up straight so it doesn't drip anymore. By that time they have learned to get water from it and start poking the little ball. Few more days, I remove the regular waterer. Haven't had any problems

My approach might not have been the best, haha. I took the old waterer out and then put the water bottle in a little later (so they were thirsty) I just squeezed the bottle a teeny tiny bit until a few of them started using it. Once a few started drinking from it the others followed suit.

thanks..starting this asap with mine!
smile.png
its a real PIA having the bigger chicken wateres inside their pens, and every time you need to change their water you have to worry about them escaping....this way we can access the water from the outside their pen!..
thumbsup.gif

I simply took the waterer out, put the bottle on the side of the cages/brooders, and kept an eye out to make sure everyone figured it out. One will see it, peck at it because it's shiny metal, and realise that they can get water that way, and the rest follow suit. No real "training" involved.

ETA: I use this on the coturnix, buttons and chickies. The only ones that I haven't tried it with are the day old buttons, but the chickies are fine from day one. The buttons may be fine from day one too, I just haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom