Water Clean, Thaw, and Outside..?

We have two of them outside the coop, and they work famously. We did have an issue with mice that chewed through one of the wires, but we haven't had any issues with low temps and having them not work. We live in Denver, and it gets COLD here. Like, negative 15 degrees cold at night sometimes, and we haven't had any problems. The water does get dirty, so I just bring them in and really scrub the gunk off about every other week.

I currently use two methods that each have their drawbacks. I have not had success training my chickens to use horizontal nipples so I’ve resorted to what works and will attempt to switch to the HN systems like what I’ve seen others post on here.

In the run I use a black rubber tub that I replace with fresh water every morning. The ice can easily be knocked out of the tub as the tub is flexible. It’s also simple to refill by pouring a gallon jug of water into it. It does freeze over quickly so by the time I come home in the evening from work, the rubber tub has frozen over. I did not like that they did not have access to water for an extended, unknown amount of time. Also the chickens kick dirt, litter, and poop into the open tub, so I really hope I can train them to use HN so I can switch to a closed-off, more sanitary waterer.

I also use a heated dog water bowl that has yet to freeze over - ensuring there is always liquid water available. Like the tub, the chickens kick up dirt and litter into it. The waterer had to constantly be emptied, scrubbed, and refilled. Also, water evaporates quickly and I have to constantly top it off. My chickens prefer the rubber tub over the heated bowl, I’m thinking because of water temperature. When I’m gone at work all day I feel better knowing they have access to liquid water. The warmer temperature in the heated bowl does seem to promote bacterial growth and I constantly scrub it with soap (then thoroughly rinse it out.) Otherwise it stinks up real quick.

@Kikiriki You might want to try the system blackdog043, and I use. Has gotten down into the -20s F and has never frozen. What you need is a water container. I use a plastic tote with lid, and blackdog042 uses a plastic barrel. We both use horizontal nipples and a 250 watt stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic. The deicer has a built in thermostat so it turns on at 35 degrees and off again at 40 or 45 which makes it pretty efficient and safe. Harder to start a fire when the heating element is under water. Some of the benefits are that the water stays thawed, the water stays clean, and with mine the 11 gallon tote holds enough water to last 12 chickens for a week so less filling. As for costs, my tote was about $7, the horizontal nipples about $10, and the stock tank deicer about $40. The stock tank deicer is a good deal as mine is now on its 5th year of use.

I’ve been inspired by the watering systems @wamtazlady and @blackdog043 use. I need to spend more time getting my girls to use HN. HN waterers seem to make the most sense in the likelihood of being successful for the situation I am in with my chickens.

I currently have one of these base style water heaters that kicks on when its below 35. It is inside the coop and works well. I have a 5 and 6 gallon double walled water container like the one below. They were outside but are now freezing too fast. The heater states on it that it is for indoor use only..... is anyone using these outside?? If so, did you build some type of small structure around it to keep debris off?

The trouble I am having in the coop is that the water container gets FILTHY! I am also noticing much higher moisture within the coop to the extent that I added an additional vent. Lastly, aside from the waterer getting dirty the water makes its way into the bedding and just... I don't want it inside anymore! On a cold day, sure I will throw some water in there, but I want it outside.

So.... long story short I guess.... does anyone use this type of base heater outside with success?

Heater:View attachment 1973545
Water Container:View attachment 1973546
Hey Lady! Put a hat on it!

Sorry, seriously if you wrap the font (at least at night) in a way the birds won't pick it apart it may be enough of a heater after all. A big beer huggie. Even a wooden sleeve, layers of cardboard, and/or insulate under it with a circle of blueboard. Anything but metal with water on one side and cold on the other.

Mine are in the coop itself and only the ring and bottom of the font stay thawed. I am satisfied with that as the daytime combined with the heater works on keeping water available,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom