Water Clean, Thaw, and Outside..?

Like the tub, the chickens kick up dirt and litter into it.

If you elevate the bowl up on some concrete blocks, less debris will get in it.
Also, it might be the debris that is causing the bacteria/mold growth, and not the heat. I use heated dog bowls and I don’t seem to have that issue. Maybe it’s because mine are up on blocks.

Also, it might be the debris that is causing the bacteria/mold growth, and not the heat. I use heated dog bowls and I don’t seem to have that issue. Maybe it’s because mine are up on blocks.
This is completely accurate. Big Box had a sale on pavers for 25 cents each. (Easier to handle than concrete blocks.) I got 400 and used some of them in the coop to make places to stand/walk, build stacks for the water fonts, and it allows me to level it, put a heater on it then the font, and chickens cant move them. Each time I raised the font, it stayed cleaner longer. I set one layer half into the ground cuz I am clumzy and will kick it. Usually 3 pavers tall and two long edges wide for a 5 gallon font. Take a layer off if you are using a heater.

Buy a second font so you can switch them (saving the dirty one for the hose later), or just switch the top part when you add water. When I add water I usually slop the trough out onto the ground next to the stack of pavers. (My coop is a portion of a barn and has a dirt floor inside a foundation/footer.)

Cleaning the equipment is necessary and unavoidable. Unless you go super tech. ug.

Last edited:
It can take time.
Some get it like instantly, others take a few weeks to really get it.
Not good to do in extreme temps(hot or cold) when dehydration can set in quickly.
I wonder if you assembled them to leak for a day or two, that might draw them to it??

AND, has anyone actually seen an ill or injured bird because it refused to drink from a particular water source? I have to think survival instinct would change their behavior.

but of the 3 hens I have, one is about 3, the other two are about 26+ weeks, no eggs yet! I' m thinking it's to cold for egg laying.

I use 40 watt incandescent light bulbs in very small houses. Make it bright enough to read a newspaper by. Too bright can make them pick at each other more. Must be on for 12 - 14 hrs. per day; timer start them early in the morning. Unless the temperature / humidity is stressing the birds from too much heat or cold drafts they continue to lay in freezing temps, except right after a molt, or if they've been badly frightened.

Shouldn't need teflon tape if the hole is properly drilled(size and smoothness).
You'd want it to drip out of it's normal area...tho I still don't think this a good idea.
i agree but i have an unusual coop design. A long section of a barn with a lot of ventilation section ed with baffles around the roosts. My barn roof leaks, although I have reduced it. There are 86 birds in 500 sq ft. Open and close at dusk and dawn. The roof gutter flows outside the lenai, which is the coop's porch. It is rocky there and muddy a bit but these birds are all alive after 4, 5, and 6 months for each third of the flock.

I do pay attention though.....

Attachments

• E3A34E26-71A9-4683-A3C0-9D7B504360E2.jpeg
    E3A34E26-71A9-4683-A3C0-9D7B504360E2.jpeg
    807.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 81C7E306-EA32-4173-A067-DD2C6024E2F8.jpeg
    81C7E306-EA32-4173-A067-DD2C6024E2F8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Sorry! In my head it is implied the bowls ar elevated, but that is only because it is so normal to me to have them elevated. It does not cross my mind that there are people who do not keep their bowls off the ground. I have been doing this since they were in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom