Water, feed, and roost tweaks? Would like some tips.

Another nice thing about Horizontal Nipples is that the waterer does not omit any additional moisture into the air. Keep in mind whatever container you use it will need a small air vent hole at the top to allow air in. No air in no water out. I try to have the hole on the side at the top. Figured less dust can make its way in. Small 1/8” hole is all you need. Just check every once in awhile it doesn’t get plugged.
Oh thank you also very good to know! I'll be sure to out a venting hole in. Would it still he wise to put a "drip catcher" underneath?

This is what I have for my turkeys. While it is a pain in the ARSE to "flip over" after filling, I am willing to deal with it to keep them with non frozen water. I will be using the samet hing for my chickens next winter. I don't have them yet, have to wait until winter is OVER to make them somewhere to live! A friend is boarding them for me until then.
Have you tried HN’s with your turkeys yet? They use them.

Go to Amazon. Stay away from the super cheap ones. I recommend the following.
Rentacoop, Lovatic , heritage acres.
Heritage acres being the best.
I just ordered a 20pk of rentacoop ones myself
RentACoop has THE BEST Customer Service EVER!!! If anything ever happens to a piece of their equipment, they fix/replace it immediately...and they send extra ...just in case!

RentACoop has THE BEST Customer Service EVER!!! If anything ever happens to a piece of their equipment, they fix/replace it immediately...and they send extra ...just in case!
Good to know, I’ve never had to deal with them yet.
This is what I like to hear. Sounds good. I'll definitely check into RentACoop brand.

Have you tried HN’s with your turkeys yet? They use them.
No. I have no desire to either. I am good with the other waterers. Besides the weated one, I have a "pan" with water in it outside. They use that the most anyway. But of course it freezes, so the heated one is basically a "back up". (They eat a lot of snow by choice too. I NEVER "rely" on snow for ANY animal. It just isn't enough. But if they want to eat it, I can't stop them. (Same with horses and dogs.)

View attachment 2529271
First thing PLEASE excuse the mess!! This picture was taken early fall when we were still in construction phase. But my question is would this be big enough of a coop where keeping the water inside wouldn't cause a moisture issue? I want to do the pvc water and feed method and I would be placing it right inside to the left of the door in this picture against the wall. The coop is 6×8 with ample ventilation I'm going to be adding another vent on the very top to get some good cross ventilation to be safe. I just know and have been told moisture in a coop = No good. The run is fully closed off but no roof as of yet. The run is 12×48 and this spring I'll be putting up a roof over a good 8ft of it coming directly off the coop where the elbow of the run is, its a sideways "L" shape if you will. But with how the weather is here the winters are insanely cold, and it's so very windy here in ND and the massive thunder storms that roll through here can leave everything drenched dang near flooded. Would this work out well enough? Of course in the summer time I will have other water stations in the run as well.

As for the roost I thought I had planned everything out to be effective. Then I realized the roost being higher than the nesting boxes the ladder I had put in for their ease of access is going to most likely be the subject of their pooping abilities. And realized I can't put "poop board underneath the roost. Should I remove the ladder? I'll be getting 8 birds all of standard size. Any recommendations on what I could do or will I just most likely just have to just keep up on the ladder strictly ( which won't be a problem if need be)

Anyways thanks for an help/advice you can give!! Much thanks 😊

I am a newbie for chicken raising - so experience is limited. We use a 5-gallon horizontal waterer with a de-ice pan underneath. I also wrapped some bubble wraps and an silver insulation bag around the body of the tank for extra insulation, and covered up the whole thing with one of those feeder bag (chickens peck everything, the bag is strong enough to keep them from pecking the insulation material). It has been working fine for our chickens and us! Sorry I don't have a better picture, but you can see in the background of the photo below. We have 4 nipples for 8 chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_9017.jpg
    IMG_9017.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 12
I am a newbie for chicken raising - so experience is limited. We use a 5-gallon horizontal waterer with a de-ice pan underneath. I also wrapped some bubble wraps and an silver insulation bag around the body of the tank for extra insulation, and covered up the whole thing with one of those feeder bag (chickens peck everything, the bag is strong enough to keep them from pecking the insulation material). It has been working fine for our chickens and us! Sorry I don't have a better picture, but you can see in the background of the photo below. We have 4 nipples for 8 chickens.
Wow, ok thank you very much for sharing your method! I appreciate it. Seems to be very effective.

Btw, you have a VERY pretty Bearded Lady there. 😄

Also, may I ask where you live at in the country? Does it get pretty cold in the winter? Minus this freak weather we've been seeing. 😵

Back
Top Bottom