Water, feed, and roost tweaks? Would like some tips.

Pics
Also, may I ask where you live at in the country? Does it get pretty cold in the winter? Minus this freak weather we've been seeing. 😵
1613593519789.png

You can add yours too:
1613593549924.png

Also, may I ask where you live at in the country? Does it get pretty cold in the winter? Minus this freak weather we've been seeing. 😵

In central NJ - so not as cold as northern part of the country, but we do get single digits sometimes. After hauling water daily to the coop in the beginning of winter, we decided that we need a better solution. Besides, my girls get up at wee hour (before 6am), they need their food and drink before we get up!

In central NJ - so not as cold as northern part of the country, but we do get single digits sometimes. After hauling water daily to the coop in the beginning of winter, we decided that we need a better solution. Besides, my girls get up at wee hour (before 6am), they need their food and drink before we get up!
Ah OK! Still gets cold enough to potentially cause issues. Thanks for informing me! Gotta keep them birdies fed and hydrated!! 😁

Ah OK! Still gets cold enough to potentially cause issues. Thanks for informing me! Gotta keep them birdies fed and hydrated!! 😁
Forgot to mention one thing - I also put a small empty bottle with some water INSIDE the waterer, so it floats. Some people use ping-pong balls. I think the idea is that floating object will make waves and break the ice if it forms on the top layer.

Which ONLY works if it isn't very cold out. Otherwise it is an "old wives tale."
Always suspected that! But I did it anyway, just wanted to do everything I can to make sure they have water to drink.
With the de-icer, I probably didn't need the extra wrapping/insulation either! Hopefully it at least conserves some energy. The waterer sits in the run, literally like sitting outside.

Ok good to know! The roost is just about two and a half feet away from the wall. The window above them is perfectly fine. I got my hands on some some double insulated bathroom windows for the coop. And I used spray foam insulation around it and I've been in there multitudes this winter on windy days to feel for drafts and was pretty good. The only draft I could somewhat feel was coming from below the nesting boxes around my ankles on the floor. That's because of a small gap between the egg latch and the actual coop it can't be more than half an inch wide. I got some seal strips to put around the opening from the egg latch. Some say to use curtains for extra protection but I figured I could just put a piece of cardboard against it if the weather gets really cold. Yes nothing will be in their way for landing. i was luckily enough to get two doors made for houses brand new. They are insulated and everything. I have two one leading into the run and one to the outside for ease of cleaning. Now that I think about it. It's unfortunate that I put that other door leading into run because that took up roost space. That section you see in the picture is the only roost space. Do you have an recommendations to give more roost space. I'm personally not a fan of the ladder roosting method cause I know they all like one level. I was thinking about putting one that connects to each support post going from the wall to the current roost once I lower it a bit. Also would I have lower it? I'm getting SS, barnies, and Black Australorps. That roost wouldn't to be high? Well and a Barnie rooster is coming with my order of 7 hens. Thank you for reading this long winded post 😇
Be careful with any insulation and "seal strips". If the chickens have access to that material, they will eat it....they aren't the brightest of creatures some times ;)

Back
Top Bottom