Water, feed, and roost tweaks? Would like some tips.

Keep an eye out on it - particularly when its cool and wet, if the concrete appears darker grey in color and damp to the touch, its actually wicking moisture from underground and delivering it into the coop! In which case, painting with a concrete sealer will definitely help. But if it was built properly, there's no need to go to the expense and ruin a brush while doing so (actually, the pump up sprayers are best, but few people keep one around for painting/cleaning and a second for fertilizer or poisons - leaving the cheap brush as the less expensive option.

Also, I have never myself seen it weep with moisture through last winter or this one, it is bone dry. I was surprised to see that my snow track I left in there when I was tinkering in there that it had melted and stayed in liquid form and didn't freeze and that was in 15° weather. I know that doesn't have anything to do with moisture leeching through the floor but still seems to do the trick

Then it was built right. You are very fortunate.

Keep an eye out on it - particularly when its cool and wet, if the concrete appears darker grey in color and damp to the touch, its actually wicking moisture from underground and delivering it into the coop! In which case, painting with a concrete sealer will definitely help. But if it was built properly, there's no need to go to the expense and ruin a brush while doing so (actually, the pump up sprayers are best, but few people keep one around for painting/cleaning and a second for fertilizer or poisons - leaving the cheap brush as the less expensive option.
Wow ok! That's something I'll definitely keep in mind. Very good to know. This spring will be a perfect test to see what the floor does when all this snow the sky has been crapping on us all winter melts! I appreciate your thoughts and input very much! Thank you!

Lots of comments. I haven't read them all. My first impression is with the nest box. If there isn't a landing bar, is there enough room for them to fly up and land under the top? I also tend to see more than one roost bar in a coop.
Speaking of nest boxes...I’ve learned TONS about them. Previously bought big, nice plastic boxes that they absolutely refused to even stick their heads in to look at. My 12 girls only use ONE out of 4 boxes and none of them have “roofs” on them. They were all made from shelves in my art studio/bonus room. Took them down from the walls, turned them upside down & then nailed them to the coop wall. I did put a divider in the box on top, but I left the box on bottom as one large area. The bottom gets used every once in a while when the line for the preferred box gets impossibly long, lol!

Attachments

• E6B5E762-D63A-441F-A206-8923CEC5CF69.jpeg
    E6B5E762-D63A-441F-A206-8923CEC5CF69.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 11
  • C828842A-490C-4536-92AE-ACC376195490.jpeg
    C828842A-490C-4536-92AE-ACC376195490.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 10
  • F577D9BC-EE7D-4A9C-911F-1B694A18E4D1.jpeg
    F577D9BC-EE7D-4A9C-911F-1B694A18E4D1.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 12
Speaking of nest boxes...I’ve learned TONS about them. Previously bought big, nice plastic boxes that they absolutely refused to even stick their heads in to look at. My 12 girls only use ONE out of 4 boxes and none of them have “roofs” on them. They were all made from shelves in my art studio/bonus room. Took them down from the walls, turned them upside down & then nailed them to the coop wall. I did put a divider in the box on top, but I left the box on bottom as one large area. The bottom gets used every once in a while when the line for the preferred box gets impossibly long, lol!
Haha! Well I'm glad they use the ones you replaced the others with! That's what I'm terrified about myself. I put in effort to make some "pretty" nesting boxes, well not really. Regardless I hope they use them. BTW, that is a very pretty bird in the picture. What breed is she. 😁

View attachment 2529271
First thing PLEASE excuse the mess!! This picture was taken early fall when we were still in construction phase. But my question is would this be big enough of a coop where keeping the water inside wouldn't cause a moisture issue? I want to do the pvc water and feed method and I would be placing it right inside to the left of the door in this picture against the wall. The coop is 6×8 with ample ventilation I'm going to be adding another vent on the very top to get some good cross ventilation to be safe. I just know and have been told moisture in a coop = No good. The run is fully closed off but no roof as of yet. The run is 12×48 and this spring I'll be putting up a roof over a good 8ft of it coming directly off the coop where the elbow of the run is, its a sideways "L" shape if you will. But with how the weather is here the winters are insanely cold, and it's so very windy here in ND and the massive thunder storms that roll through here can leave everything drenched dang near flooded. Would this work out well enough? Of course in the summer time I will have other water stations in the run as well.

As for the roost I thought I had planned everything out to be effective. Then I realized the roost being higher than the nesting boxes the ladder I had put in for their ease of access is going to most likely be the subject of their pooping abilities. And realized I can't put "poop board underneath the roost. Should I remove the ladder? I'll be getting 8 birds all of standard size. Any recommendations on what I could do or will I just most likely just have to just keep up on the ladder strictly ( which won't be a problem if need be)

Anyways thanks for an help/advice you can give!! Much thanks 😊
Why can you NOT put up a poop board? The position of the ladder is wrong. Do you have access to the nest boxes from outside?

Why do you NOT have room for a poop board? Suggest putting the roost bars in the hanging brackets but not attaching them so they are easy to remove and clean. I use the construction-grade sand and it is the easiest way to keep the coop clean.
Also, consider building a structure out in the run for the feed and water. Never good to keep them in the coop. Not only for the moisture issues but also varmints.

Attachments

• Dining Room.jpg
    Dining Room.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 11
Why do you NOT have room for a poop board? Suggest putting the roost bars in the hanging brackets but not attaching them so they are easy to remove and clean. I use the construction-grade sand and it is the easiest way to keep the coop clean.
Also, consider building a structure out in the run for the feed and water. Never good to keep them in the coop. Not only for the moisture issues but also varmints.
Well I'm not sure. I don't I felt like there wasn't room for a poop board. I mean obviously that ladder is wrong and would have been in the way. But with that being gone now I should most assuredly have plenty of room for a poop board.

And that's actually a very good idea! Building a structure outside for feed/water. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom