Water for ducklings

PinkFarmGirl

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2022
I have ducklings coming from a hatchery next week. I'm planning to put them with my geese to raise. Any suggestions for a low water source for the ducklings? My geese have a couple of kiddie pools but the ducklings won't be able to reach those. What do you use that you love?

I have ducklings coming from a hatchery next week. I'm planning to put them with my geese to raise. Any suggestions for a low water source for the ducklings? My geese have a couple of kiddie pools but the ducklings won't be able to reach those. What do you use that you love?
whaaaaa? the geese could kill them

I had a goose... it was not the mothering type.

I'm frugal. I take a gallon jug and cut an opening at their height. That way they can put their head thru.. hopefully not make too much of a mess. I also put a few larger rocks in there to deter the ducklings from swimming in it.

I put that on top of a cookie cooling rack over a cookie pan. That collects the water they do splash around. You'll have to cut a new gallon jug every week or so to accommodate their increasing height.

the pic below is a welsh harlequin that I just found in the nest this morning. I'm fashioning my milk jug again for this little lady.

Attachments

• IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 1
I use a plastic dollartree oil pan. The adults still try to bathe in it *eye roll* and drink from it, but haven't tipped it over. Next size up is a cat litter pan. After that a low plastic container like underbed storage.

Add rocks or bricks if the ducklings are too tiny to get in an out out on their own. My day old goslings manage it.

Back
Top Bottom