Water for feral chickens

Michael A

Chirping
Jun 12, 2019
Lake Asbury , Florida
I keep hens in Florida but own a rental property in the cayman islands.

There is very little standing water but feral chickens all over the place. On a hot day they are walking around panting searching for water.

My hens have such a great life compared to these poor things. I don’t think they get much to eat either. Their poops are tiny.

I have two options. Just ignore them as they dehydrate and die or set up a watering system.

The problem with a watering system is that I’m not going to be here and the Gardner comes every other week.

There are 6-10 chickens in my I could make up a bucket with tap water, keep it in the shade with a couple of nipples but will the water stay good for two weeks?

would adding vinegar or something else help?

ideas?

Attachments

• DD3CF76F-8173-40F2-BA9C-1BECC7E25EFE.jpeg
    DD3CF76F-8173-40F2-BA9C-1BECC7E25EFE.jpeg
    770.5 KB · Views: 40
  • CCD88924-4A76-497F-A999-D31EAFDC0AFE.jpeg
    CCD88924-4A76-497F-A999-D31EAFDC0AFE.jpeg
    988.5 KB · Views: 18
Ypu can cut holes near the bottom of a large bucket and place the bucket in a large tray/dish.
When you fill the bucket with water, the water will drain into the dish and it will refill when empty

Ypu can cut holes near the bottom of a large bucket and place the bucket in a large tray/dish.
When you fill the bucket with water, the water will drain into the dish and it will refill when empty

It needs to be vacuum for water. Maybe it works with a water barrel for a canoe?

Or you can flip the bucket with a very large plate . After the bucket is upside down you can put some small sticks underneath the edge of the bucket.

There is very little standing water but feral chickens all over the place. On a hot day they are walking around panting searching for water.

My hens have such a great life compared to these poor things. I don’t think they get much to eat either. Their poops are tiny.

I have two options. Just ignore them as they dehydrate and die or set up a watering system.

The problem with a watering system is that I’m not going to be here and the Gardner comes every other week.

There are 6-10 chickens in my I could make up a bucket with tap water, keep it in the shade with a couple of nipples but will the water stay good for two weeks?

ideas?

ideas?
The water will be fine, the chickens will be happy with at least some water. You can sprinkle some crumble and food around a little so the6 can eat something at least.

It needs to be vacuum for water. Maybe it works with a water barrel for a canoe?

Or you can flip the bucket with a very large plate put some small sticks underneath the edge of the bucket.

Maybe there are some better ideas within the articles like this one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/lilturkeymamas-waterer.48311/

If you use horizontal nipples, the water will stay good for 2 weeks in the container, especially if it's kept in the shade. No need for vinegar. I use 14 gallon drums with HN and only rinse them out 2-3 times a year. They are kept in the shade.

The problems I see you having.
Will the chickens know where the water is and how big of a container will you need, to last 2 weeks?
Maybe if you sat an open dish with water by the container, they would find the nipples because of the red color, I'm not sure. This is only because they are feral, I never had a problem getting my chickens to use HN.

Will the Gardner remember to fill the waterer?

SOLUTION FOUND

Thank you all for your advice... Lot's of good ideas but i found one that is very low maintenance. Every house has Air Conditioning with a condensate drain. I simply diverted the pipe to a little pot that I had laying around. The chickens found it right away.

The water also stays pretty cool and I have not had any growth in over a month. I don't use blue tablets.

The building is still under construction so I will set something up more permanent before I leave.

Incidentally, this hen made her nest right next to the front porch, I put a garbage can lid over her to keep her dry and protect from falling debris. The thing is she the hen never left the nest. I think all of the activity scared her.

So i started bringing her food every day. Once she had her chicks foraging, I slowly weaned her off. Now i just give them a treat every other day or so and they seem healthy. They are feral but pretty friendly.

Again, thanks to all who replied.

Attachments

• 240006832_10220351289318379_3156632072754289457_n.jpg
    240006832_10220351289318379_3156632072754289457_n.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 239866352_10220351210116399_3060829378251146804_n.jpg
    239866352_10220351210116399_3060829378251146804_n.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 239873384_10220351210316404_653676872971163680_n.jpg
    239873384_10220351210316404_653676872971163680_n.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 10
SOLUTION FOUND

Thank you all for your advice... Lot's of good ideas but i found one that is very low maintenance. Every house has Air Conditioning with a condensate drain. I simply diverted the pipe to a little pot that I had laying around. The chickens found it right away.

The water also stays pretty cool and I have not had any growth in over a month. I don't use blue tablets.

The building is still under construction so I will set something up more permanent before I leave.

Incidentally, this hen made her nest right next to the front porch, I put a garbage can lid over her to keep her dry and protect from falling debris. The thing is she the hen never left the nest. I think all of the activity scared her.

So i started bringing her food every day. Once she had her chicks foraging, I slowly weaned her off. Now i just give them a treat every other day or so and they seem healthy. They are feral but pretty friendly.

Again, thanks to all who replied.

I am glad a solution has been found! Good job looking after the mama.

Back
Top Bottom